Catholic (1-3) 6, McDaniel (0-3) 3 – Game 1
Catholic (2-3) 17, McDaniel (0-4) 9 – Game 2
What: Non-conference baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Mar. 3
Where: Columbia, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Catholic plated multiple runs in six innings to key a sweep of McDaniel. The Cardinals took the opener 6-3 before completing the sweep with a 17-9 game-two win that included a pair of five-run frames.
• Evan Finch (Laurel, Md./St. John's College) led the Green Terror with five hits and five RBIs, including a 4-for-4 day in game two. He had two RBIs in game one and three in game two.
• T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) added three hits in game two.
• Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) went 2-for-3 with four RBIs in the nightcap.
FOR THE FOES
• Ryan Tracy had two hits in each game.
• Bailey Lewis had three hits and five RBIs in the doubleheader.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Ryan Tracy led off the game with a triple before scoring on a Bailey Lewis single up the middle with one out. Back-to-back walks loaded the bases for a wild pitch and Nichoals Torroella RBI groundout made it a 3-0 game.
• A throwing error and Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) single coupled with a wild pitch put runners at second and third with two outs. Evan Finch laced a ball to the gap, scoring both runners and making it a 3-2 game.
• Torroella led off the fourth with a single before a wild pitch, passed ball and Sean Dempsey RBI groundout made it a 4-2 game.
• Dempsey and Tracey had back-to-back one-out knocks in the seventh before both scored on a two-out Lewis knock up the middle for a 6-2 advantage.
• A throwing error and two-out Tim Griest pinch-hit single cut the deficit to 6-3 in the bottom of the frame. Another error and brought the tying run to the plate but Ethan Risse got a groundball to preserve the win.
• In the nightcap, Jeff Guile roped a one-out single up the middle before Lewis followed with a triple for a 1-0 lead. A Michael Doody RBI groundout made it a 2-0 game.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) led off the home first with a single before a fielder's choice and stolen base from DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) put a runner on second with two outs. Finch, Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) and Griest put together back-to-back-to-back singles to tie the game. After a walk, McGuire hit a slow roller and everyone was safe for a 3-2 advantage.
• A Connor Sullivan single and Will Pyne double in the second tied the game.
• Pyne capped a run of four straight singles in the third with a two-run knock to center. Matthew Tesoriero followed with a double to cap a five-run frame.
• Two unearned runs in the fourth made it a 10-3 game before Pyne two-run double down the line keyed a five-run fifth. A two-out error followed by consecutive walks prolonged the frame.
• With the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the inning, Griest ripped a triple to center to clear the bases and cut the deficit to 15-6.
• A McGuire double and two-run single from Finch in the sixth made it a 15-8 game.
• Franke singled home Pezzano with two outs in the seventh before Catholic tacked on a pair of runs in the top of the eighth for the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Ross Dean struck out five in five innings to pick up the win for Catholic.
• Austin Fry (Sunbury, Pa./Shamokin) pitched 3 1/3 innings of relief, allowing one earned run and striking out four.
McDaniel returns to action at Gallaudet on Tuesday. Game time is 3 p.m.