Dickinson rallies for 68-58 win over McDaniel

CARLISLE, Pa. – Kizmahr Grell netted a game-high 20 points to lead Dickinson to a 68-58 victory over McDaniel in Centennial Conference (CC) men’s basketball action on Monday.

            Josh McKay (Baltimore, Md./Eastern Tech) recorded 17 points to pace the Green Terror (12-5, 7-3 CC), who dropped its second straight game to fall into third place in the CC standings after both Franklin & Marshall and Gettysburg won.
            Timothy Crouch added 14 points for the Red Devils (8-7, 3-7 CC), who overcame a 12-point halftime deficit to snap its three-game skid.
            Trailing 42-30 with 15:12 to play, Dickinson got four straight points from Timothy Crouch to spark a 22-4 rally that gave the hosts a 52-47 lead with 7:37 on the clock.
            After Kizmahr Grell sandwiched a pair of triples around a Cory Kenny 3-pointer to knot the game at 47-all, Tom Leszczynski sank a pair of free throws with 8:28 showing to give Dickinson its first lead since 2-0.
            A Grell old-fashioned three-point play stretched the lead to five nearly a minute later.
            Chad Arrington (Randallstown, Md./Randallstown) hit a layup to halt the momentum and McKayconverted a basket-and-foul to knot the game at 52 with 6:11 showing.
            On a long outlet pass after the free throw, Kenny was fouled and converted both free throws to once again give the Red Devils a two-point advantage.
            After McKay missed on a pair of free throws with an opportunity to knot the game, the two teams exchanged layups on the next four possessions.
            With 3:35 on the clock, Crouch converted the second of two charity tosses to stretch the lead to 59-56.
            Out a timeout, Crouch made it a five-point game with an up-and-under move 22 seconds later and then hit a single free throw with 2:47 to play, stretching the lead to 62-56.
            Ryan Finch (Flemington, N.J./Hunterdon) trimmed the deficit to four with a pair of free throws with 2:03 to play but the Red Devils hit six of its eight free throws while holding the Green Terror without a field goal for the 4:34 in the final two minutes to stretch the lead to 10.
            After Kennyhit a 20-foot jumper from the top of the key to give Dickinson an early 2-0, McKayresponded with a three-point play to give McDaniel a one-point edge.
            McKay added two more free throws and Arringtonhit a 17-footer from the left wing, fueling a 21-6 run that gave the visitors a 13-point edge with 8:07 remaining in the first half.
            McKay, who finished with eight points in the stretch, capped the stretch with his third 3-pointer of the season from the top of the key, forcing a Red Devil timeout.
            Michael Jarboe (Monrovia, Md./Urbana) canned a triple of his own on the Green Terror’s first possession after the timeout to stretch the lead to its largest point at 24-8 with 7:33 showing.
            Keyed by five points from Grell, Dickinson used a 13-4 run over a 4-minute, 52-second span to close to within 30-23 with 1:55 to play in the first half.
            However, T.J. Odunlami (Columbia, Md./Atholton) canned a 19-foot jump shot from the right corner on the ensuing possession and put back his own miss in the final five seconds of the stanza to push the lead back to 11 at the intermission.
            An Aaron Hill basket-and-foul helped the Red Devils close within 38-30 with 16:08 to play but jumpers from Miguel Jones (Baltimore, Md./North County) and Louis Sarris-Grau (Huntington Valley, Pa./Lower Moreland) stretched the lead back to 12 nearly a minute later.
            Henry and Jones finished with eight points apiece for McDaniel.
            The Green Terror returns to action at home against No. 25 Gettysburg on Wednesday. Game time is 8 p.m.