Murray-Kemp scores 15

Andrew Merlo  2011 David Sinclair/McDaniel College
Andrew Merlo 2011 David Sinclair/McDaniel College

CARLISLE, Pa. – Dickinson had the final say in a see-saw affair that saw nine ties and 15 lead changes, defeating McDaniel 66-58 in Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball action on Wednesday.

Cullen Murray-Kemp (Trappe, Md./Easton) led the Green Terror (3-3, 1-1 CC) with 15 points while Andrew Merlo (Rehoboth, Del./Cape Henlopen) reached double figures for the first time in his career with 10.

Gerry Wixted paced the Red Devils (4-2, 2-0 CC) with 21 points while Adam Honig added 19.

Tucker Landy stretched the lead to 58-53, hitting a layup with 2:38 on the clock but Murray-Kemp swished a triple off a screen on the ensuing Green Terror possession to trim the deficit to two with 1:29 to play.

Chris Barsanti immediately pushed the lead back to four but Murray-Kemp once again made it a two-point game.

Wixted hit both free throws with 31.4 seconds showing and Honig canned both of his attempts with 17.3 seconds on the clock to to stretch the lead to 64-58 and seal the win.

In a first half that featured four times and nine lead changes, Wixted converted a three-point play to give Dickinson a 10-8 advantage with 13:58 to play.

Mitch Belella (Smithsburg, Md./St. Maria Goretti) countered with a 3-pointer and layup to give the visitors a 13-10 lead with 12:04 on the clock.

The Red Devils countered with a pair of Honig baskets around a Barsanti layup to turned the three-point deficit into a three-point advantage with 9:11 showing.

After Murray-Kemp hit a 3-pointer to tie the game at 18-all with 6:50 showing, Louis Sarris-Grau (Huntingdon Valley, Pa./Lower Moreland) added a layup nearly two minutes later to give McDaniel its final lead of the half.

A Wixted layup tied the game before Landy converted a trey to key an 8-0 burst.

Wixted capped the stretch with a three-point play and the 1:43 mark.

A Merlo 3-pointer trimmed the deficit to 27-25 but Honig beat the first half buzzer from long range to stretch the lead back to five at the break.

Three Murray-Kemp free throws and Wixted layup 10 seconds apart made it a 36-32 Red Devil lead with 17:52 to play.

After 3 minutes, 6 seconds without a point by either team, Marcus Dyson (Scotch Plains, N.J./Union Catholic) made it a two-point game with a jumper.

An Evan Pupelis (Manhasset, N.Y./Manhasset) layup and single Merlo free throw gave the visitors a one-point edge with 12:20 to play but Douglas Jakiela countered with a three-point play of his own.

Four straight points from Merlo and two James Cranwell (Brick, N.J./Rumson-Fair Haven Regional) free throws put McDaniel on top 43-39 with 11:04 remaining.

Two more Cranwell free throws stretched the lead to as much as 45-40 a minute later.

Seven straight Red Devils points turned it in a 47-45 lead nearly two minutes later.

Sarris-Grau hit a layup with 8:02 on the clock to even the score at 47-all and spark a 5-0 burst that included three points from Murray-Kemp to make it a 50-47 game with 6:11 remaining.

Honig sank two free throws at the other end to cut the deficit to one and a Landy layup on the break made it a one-point lead.

Steve Collins hit the first of two free throws to push the lead to 52-50 with 4:42 on the clock but Merlo countered with a layup to tie the game once again.

Pupelis and Belella finished with seven points apiece. Murray-Kemp added a team-high five boards for McDaniel, which was outrebounded 29-18 in the game.

The Green Terror returns to action at No. 14 Franklin & Marshall on Saturday. Game time is 4 p.m.