Dickinson (8-9, 6-4 CC) 73, McDaniel (5-12, 1-9 CC) 70 (OT)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Sunday, Jan. 20
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Dickinson overcame an 11-point second-half deficit, hitting a 3-pointer in the final second to force overtime before prevailing in the extra session over McDaniel, 73-70.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) led the Green Terror with 17 points.
• DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) added 13 points.
• Isaac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) added 11 points.
• Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) chipped in 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Adam Drummond led the Red Devils with 21 points, including four 3-pointers.
• Mike Hinckley also hit four 3-pointers, contributing 18 points.
• Chris Bates rounded out double-digit scorers with 12 points.
• Elijah Wright posted a game-high 10 rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Jumpers from Chris Bates and Adam Drummond staked Dickinson to an early 4-0 lead before 3-pointers from Greg Scarborough (Halethorpe, Md./Lansdowne) and DJ Harper gave McDaniel a two-point lead with 17:22 to play. Trailing 10-8, Caleb Johnson hit a pair of free throws with 13:06 showing to spark a 12-0 run that put the Green Terror in front double digits just over four minutes later.
• The Red Devils reeled off eight of the next 10 points to close to within four with 7:03 on the clock. A Harper layup and Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) 3-pointer stretched the lead back to seven and the advantage remained between seven and 11 the rest of the first half en route to a 33-25 lead at the break.
• A Drummond layup capped a 7-1 start to the second half for the Red Devils, trimming the deficit to 34-32 just 3:41 into the period. A Johnson three-point play at the other end, however, sparked a 10-2 run that pushed the lead back to double digits with 12:52 on the clock. A Tony Tavares 3-pointer made it a 51-40 game with 10:06 remaining.
• Back-to-back triples from Mike Hinckley and a Drummond 3-pointer over a 74-second span quickly closed the margin to 51-49 with 7:58 remaining. The lead remained as large as four but Dickinson closed to within one twice, including on a Drummond 3-pointer with 52.1 seconds left in regulation. After an illegal screen was called with 6.1 seconds left, McDaniel inbounded and Isaac Ray converted both ends of a 1-and-1 with 5.2 seconds remaining to make it a 64-61 game. Drummond raced up the floor a swished a 23-footer from the left wing with 0.7 seconds left to tie the game.
• A Harper tip-in on the opening possession of overtime put the Green Terror back in front but Hinckley hit a second-chance layup to spark a 7-0 run by the Red Devils to give the visitors a 71-66 lead with 2:10 to play.
• Layups from Johnson and Harper around a single Drummond free throw trimmed the deficit to 72-70 with 8.0 seconds remaining. Bryce Allen hit the first of two free throws on the other end but the potential game-tying 3-pointer by McDaniel bounced off the back of iron and out.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Caleb Johnson's 17 points were his most in a Green Terror uniform.
• Dickinson and McDaniel played overtime in both of their meetings this year with the Red Devils prevailing both times.
McDaniel returns to action at Washington (Md.) on Thursday. Game time is 6 p.m.