Weather or not

Weather or not

Dickinson endures rain, delay, snow to defeat McDaniel in double overtime

WESTMINSTER, Md. – In a game that featured a little bit of everything, Christian Beitel scored three goals over an eight-day span to lead No. 12 Dickinson to a 7-6 double-overtime men's lacrosse victory at McDaniel in Centennial Conference (CC) action.

DJ Rickels (Forest Hill, Md./Boys Latin School of Maryland) notched a hat trick of his own for the hosts.

In a game that began 30 minutes late because of a lightning delay on Mar. 23, the Red Devils (7-1, 1-0 CC) held a 4-3 advantage when the Green Terror (3-5, 0-2 CC) called a timeout with possession and 20.5 seconds to play in the second quarter.

As the teams were about ready to resume play, lightning struck nearby at approximately 8:10 p.m., forcing the game to be halted.

A half-hour later, the game was officially suspended and resumed from that point one week later.

In the final 30 minutes, 20.5 seconds of regulation, McDaniel held a 3-2 edge forcing overtime.

A scoreless final 6:58 of regulation and first overtime sent the two teams to a second four-minute extra session still knotted at 6.

In the final minute of the second OT, Ward Gruppo picked up a loose ball and made a solo run from the top of the box eventually beating the keeper for the game-winner with 44.7 seconds on the clock.

During a rainstorm that turned into a torrential downpour with hail at points during the initial half, Rickels opened the game off a Jed Barnes (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) to stake the Green Terror to a 1-0 lead just 2:51 into the game.

Michael Young (Pylesville, Md./North Harford) doubled the advantage just 1:03 later before Beitel got the Red Devils on the board with 2:48 showing in the first quarter.

Brian Cannon evened the game 16 seconds into the second quarter before JS Duke (Fort Washington, Pa./Upper Dublin) tallied his first goal of the season, finishing off a Ben Yancheski (Phoenix, Md./Dulaney) feed in the man-up with 14:09 to play in the second quarter.

Bobby Kingsley scored off the second of two Beitel assists with 7:46 showing to even the game before Beitel put one in with 3:55 on the clock for the 4-3 edge.

When the game resumed in a light snow, McDaniel turned the ball over out of its 6-day, 20-hour, 50-minute timeout but Dickinson was unable to get off a shot before the halftime horn.

Matt Dean (Glen Burnie, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti), who was 11 of 17 at the X, won the faceoff to start the third quarter and Skippy Clary (Baltimore, Md./Catonsville) found the back of the net to tie the game with 13:15 to play in the period.

Rickels once again put the Green Terror back on top, finishing off a turnaround move with 8:59 on the clock.

Bobby Kingsley tallied a man-up marker with 9:29 to play in the fourth quarter before Beitel gave the visitors a one-goal edge 35 seconds later.

Rickels knotted the game nearly two minutes later but, by that point, the light snow had turned into virtual white-out conditions at times and the teams combined for 14 of their combined 50 turnovers between that tally and the Gruppo game-winner.

Christian Dallmus (Acton, Mass./Rivers School) made 15 saves for the Green Terror while Greg Hanley made nine stops for the Red Devils.

McDaniel returns to action at home against Franklin & Marshall on Saturday. Game time is 6 p.m.

Score by Period                                 1          2          3          4          OT       2OT     -           F
No. 12 Dickinson (7-1, 1-0 CC)                       1          3          0          2          0          1          -           7
McDaniel (3-5, 0-2 CC)                                   2          1          2          1          0          0          -           6

Christian Beitel 3, Bobby Kingsley 2, Brian Cannon, Ward Gruppo.
DJ Rickels 3, Michael Young, Skippy Clary, JS Duke.

Beitel 2, Cannon, Kevin Joy, Nick Leon.
Jed Barnes, Ben Yancheski.

Goalies: D (Greg Hanley – 9 saves, 6 GA), M (Christian Dallmus – 11 saves, 7 GA).