Catholic notches 7-2 win
McDaniel opens fall season on short end of match
WESTMINSTER, Md. - Daniel Valverde notched a pair of wins, including by a 6-0, 6-0 score at No. 1 singles to lead Catholic to a 7-2 win over McDaniel in non-conference men's tennis action on Sunday.
The Cardinals (3-1) earned three wins by default and a pair of contested doubles matches to secure the win before the start of singles play.
Ben Faber (Wayne, Pa./Conestoga) notched a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles to lead the Green Terror (0-1) in its first match of the season.
Steve French (New Windsor, Md./Francis Scott Key) added a three-set victory at third singles, dropping the first set 6-0 before taking the second set 7-6 in tiebreaker and securing the match 10-7 in the final set.
McDaniel returns to action at Goucher on Oct. 6. Match time is 3 p.m.
Catholic 7, McDaniel 2
1. Daniel Valverde/Bernardo Nogales (C) def. Dan Hovorka/Ben Faber 8-2;
2. Connor Donnelly/Rubin Tian (C) def. Steve French/Aaron Waltemeyer 8-6;
3. Kyle Kramer/Robert Shuman (C) won by default.
1. Valverde (C) def. Hovorka 6-0, 6-0;
2. Faber (M) def. Nogales 6-0, 6-3;
3. French (M) def. Donnelly 0-6, 7-6 (7-1), 10-7;
4. Tian (C) def. Waltemeyer 10-2;
5. Kramer (C) won by default;
6. Nicholas Pietrantoni (C) won by default.