McDaniel opens spring with win
Green Terror sweeps singles play against Southern Virginia
WESTMINSTER, Md. – Brian Kron (Upperco, Md./North Carroll) won both of his matches, including a straight-set victory at No. 4 singles, to lead McDaniel to a 7-2 victory over Southern Virginia in non-conference men's tennis action on Thursday.
The Green Terror (2-1) opened its spring schedule with a victory, sweeping all six singles matches to secure the victory before the Knights (4-4) took two of the three doubles matches by identical 8-3 scores.
Kron teamed with Matthew Langsdale (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll) to notch McDaniel's lone win in doubles, taking a 9-7 decision in the third spot.
Kron won his singles match 6-2, 6-0 while Langsdale was also a double winner in three sets at sixth singles. After Langsdale won 6-1 in the opening set, Adam Williford took a 6-3 decision to force the deciding super tiebreaker third set, which Langsdale took, 10-7.
Ben Faber (Wayne, Pa./Conestoga) rallied from down 7-1 in the deciding super tiebreaker third set to win 11-9 at No. 1 singles. Shaolin Chandam took the first set 6-2 before Faber won 6-3 in the second set.
Justin Ward (Sykesville, Md./Century) and Steve French (New Windsor, Md./Francis Scott Key) added straight-set victories. Ward won at No. 2 singles (6-4, 6-4) while French was victorious in the third spot (7-6 (7-5), 7-5).
Chad Palman (Montgomery Village, Md./Gaithersburg) rounded out the singles sweep with a 6-1, 2-6, (10-7) win at No. 5.
The Green Terror returns to action at Randolph-Macon on Sunday. Match time is 3:30 p.m.
McDaniel 7, Southern Virginia 2
1. Ben Faber (M) def. Shaolin Chandam 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Justin Ward (M) def. Phillip Whiteley 6-4, 6-4
3. Steve French (M) def. Timothy Birch 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
4. Brian Kron (M) def. Stefan Vlassek 6-2, 6-0
5. Chad Palman (M) def. Brennan Alford 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
6. Matthew Langsdale (M) def. Adam Williford 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Chandam/Whiteley (S) def. Faber/Palman 8-3
2. Williford/Birch (S) def. French/Ward 8-3
3. Kron/Langsdale (M) def. Alford/Parker Monson 9-7