Shenandoah takes 5-4 decision over McDaniel
WINCHESTER, Va. – Dustan DeMello went 2-0, including winning in straight sets, at third singles to key Shenandoah's 5-4 victory over McDaniel in non-conference men's tennis action on Monday.
Brian Kron (Upperco, Md./North Carroll) went 2-0 to lead the Green Terror (3-2), winning 11-9 in a third-set super tiebreaker to extend his personal winning streak to eight matches in singles and doubles, combined.
Michael Milanov added a 2-0 day for the Hornets (5-4), teaming with DeMello for an 8-6 win at first doubles before winning No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-2.
DeMello won his third singles match, 6-1, 6-0.
Kron partnered with Matthew Langsdale (Hampstead, Md./North Carroll) to win third doubles 8-2 – McDaniel's only point in doubles play.
Kron dropped a 6-4 decision in the first set of his No. 4 singles match before winning 6-2 to force the deciding set.
Ward won at second singles 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 while Palman needed a marathon super tiebreaker third-set to take fifth singles. Adam Bamberger won the first set 7-5 before Palman used a 6-2 victory to force the deciding set, where he won, 14-12.
Julian Fehr and Bamberger teamed for an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles while Tim Lutz rounded out the Shenandoah points with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 6 singles.
The Green Terror returns to action in the Centennial Conference opener at Washington (Md.) on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.
Shenandoah 5, McDaniel 4
1. Michael Milanov/Dustan DeMello (S) def. Ben Faber/Chad Palman 8-6;
2. Julian Fehr/Adam Bamberger (S) def. Steve French/Justin Ward 8-6;
3. Brian Kron/Matthew Langsdale (M) def. Tim Lutz/Vladimir Daskalov 8-2.
1. Milanov (S) def. Faber 6-3, 6-2;
2. Ward (M) def. Fehr 6-1, 4-6, 6-3;
3. DeMello (S) def. French 6-1, 6-0;
4. Kron (M) def. Daskalov 4-6, 6-2, 11-9;
5. Palman (M) def. Bamberger 5-7, 6-2, 14-12;
6. Lutz (S) def. Sam Morris 6-1, 6-4.