McDaniel edges Penn State-Harrisburg
Green Terror takes two of three doubles to key win
HARRISBURG, Pa. – Brian Kron (Upperco, Md./North Carroll) went 2-0 to lead McDaniel to a 5-4 victory over Penn State-Harrisburg in non-conference men's tennis action on Friday.
Justin Ward (Sykesville, Md./Century) added a double-win day for the Green Terror (5-3), winning in the second doubles and second singles slots.
John Dixon paced the Lions (5-3) with a pair of wins in the top spots.
Dixon and Ali Eteiba's 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles made it 2-1 in favor of the visitors after doubles – a margin that would hold up after the two teams split singles.
Ward was a 6-3, 6-4 winner to round out his two wins while Kron won 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 for his second victory.
Dixon won at first singles, 6-2, 6-3.
Chad Palman (Montgomery Village, Md./Gaithersburg) won fifth singles for McDaniel, 6-1, 6-4.
Tyler Bixer took No. 3 singles in straight sets (6-4, 7-5) while Evgeny Matigullin needed a tiebreaker set to win at No. 6. Matigullin dropped the first set 6-4 to Langsdale before forcing the deciding set 6-4 and winning in a supertiebreaker, 10-8.
The Green Terror returns to action at Haverford on Saturday. Match time is 12 p.m.
McDaniel 5, Penn State-Harrisburg 4
1. John Dixon/Ali Eteiba (H) def Ben Faber/Chad Palman 8-1;
2. Justin Ward/Steve French (M) def. Josh Cartmill/Vinnie Lepore 8-3;
3. Matt Langsdale/Brian Kron (M) def. Tyler Bixler/Evgeny Matigullin 8-2.
1. Dixon (H) def. Faber 6-2, 6-3;
2. Ward (M) def. Eteiba 6-3, 6-4;
3. Bixler (H) def. French 6-4, 7-5;
4. Kron (M) def. Lepore 6-1, 6-2;
5. Palman (M) def. Cartmill 6-1, 6-4;
6. Matigullin (H) def Langsdale 4-6, 6-4, 10-8.