McDaniel (4-0) 68, Eastern Mennonite (1-2) 61
What: Non-Conference women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Nov. 17
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel closed the game on a 13-4 run to top Eastern Mennonite 68-61 in the final game of the 2018 McDaniel Tipoff Classic presented by CareFirst.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) led the way with 16 points.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) tallied 14 points.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added 11 points and a team-high eight rebounds.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) chipped in 11 points and six assists.
FOR THE FOES
• Lexi Deffenbaugh led the Royals with 16 points.
• Emily McCombs chipped in 11 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The teams traded points over the first six minutes of the first period before Lindsey Krisak hit a 3-pointer to spark a 10-3 run that gave EMU a 17-11 lead with a minute to play. Renie Tsomos and Chrissy Delawader traded baskets in the final 47 seconds to make it a 19-13 game after one quarter.
• The Royals, behind four points from Lexi Dean, opened up a 30-20 lead with two minutes to play in the second quarter before Anna Mondoro drained a triple in the waning seconds for the first field goal in nearly six minutes, trimming the deficit to seven at the break.
• The Green Terror carried that momentum into the second half with Mondoro capping a 13-0 run that gave the hosts a 33-30 lead with 7:45 showing. Eastern Mennonite responded with 10 of the next 12 points, however, to open up a 40-35 edge on a Lexi Deffenbaugh 3-pointer with 5:20 remaining. The Green Terror clawed back to tie the game at 44-all before the teams traded points.
• Tied at 48-all at the start of the fourth quarter, Mondoro hit her fourth 3-pointer and then canned a jumper for a 53-48 advantage just 1:39 into the final period. Kiera Childress tied the game at 55-all before Emily McCombs hit a jumper on the next possession for a two-point lead with 5:10 to play. A Caroline Ward 3-pointer a minute later sparked the game-clinching finish.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Caroline Ward reached double figures for the fourth time in four games.
• Anna Mondoro and Caroline Ward were named to the all-tournament team.
• The Green Terror are 4-0 for the first time since 2014-15.
McDaniel opens Centennial Conference play at Johns Hopkins on Tuesday. Game time is 6 p.m.