McDaniel (12-10, 7-10 CC) 69, Washington (Md.) (7-13, 4-11 CC) 56
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Feb. 6
Where: Chestertown, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel put together a 17-0 run in the third quarter to overcome a five-point deficit and build a 12-point advantage with 3:06 remaining in the period.
• Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) paced the Green Terror with 19 points. She also had five steals.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added 16 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Kristi Kozlowski led the Shorewomen with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
• Madeline Williams added 11 points and five assists.
• Cassidy Quattro chipped in 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Tied at 6-all in the first quarter, Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) hit her only 3-pointer of the first half with 6:35 showing to spark a 9-1 run, opening up a 15-7 advantage late in the period. Caitlyn Clark hit a layup to snap a seven-minute drought from the floor and close the deficit to six entering the second quarter.
• Trailing 23-16, Kristi Kozlowski hit a layup with 3:30 to play in the second period, igniting a 12-1 run to turn the seven-point deficit into an 11-point lead. Hannah Zajac hit an elbow jumper to close the deficit to two in the final 10 seconds but Madeline Williams raced up the floor and swished a 28-footer before the buzzer to stretch the lead to 31-26 at the break.
• Two Liv Storer free throws and a Zajac jumper closed the margin to one just 1:11 into the second half before layups from Cassidy Quattro and Williams pushed the lead back to five. Storer, however, canned a jumper in the paint with 7:36 showing to spark the game-changing 17-0 run. A Quattro free throw momentarily halted the run but a Storer jumper capped the 19-1 stretch that covered 5 minutes, 12 seconds. Washington closed the period with five of the final six points to trim the deficit to 50-41.
• The lead swelled as large as 14 on a Sara Pilkey (Fawn Grove, Pa./Kennard-Dale) layup with 6:07 remaining before the Shorewomen went on a 6-1 run to make it a 58-49 game but that's as close as the hosts would get.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 19 points were a career high for Hannah Zajac, who reached double figures for the second in the last four games – her first two double-digit outings of the year.
• Washington finished the game with a 41-27 advantage in rebounding.
• The Green Terror forced the Shorewomen into 25 turnovers – the second most it has forced this season.
• McDaniel went 16-for-29 from the free-throw line. The 29 attempts were the second most shot in a game this season.
• Jayce Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) dished out a career-best eight assists.
McDaniel returns to action at No. 23 Gettysburg on Thursday. Game time is 7 p.m.