Ursinus (15-8, 12-6 CC) 55, McDaniel (12-12, 7-12 CC) 53
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 9
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus scored 15 straight points in the fourth quarter, holding McDaniel off the board for more than five minutes to overcome a double-digit deficit. The Bears staved off a final push to prevail, 55-53.
FOR THE FOES
• Aliyah Stephens led the Bears with 16 points.
• Lydia Konstanzer chipped in 13 points.
• Gabby Downs added 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) and Liv Storer hit layups to stake McDaniel to a 4-0 lead in the game's first two minutes. The first-quarter lead swelled to five on an Anna Mondoro 3-pointer with 5:54 showing. Back-to-back Allyson Shipley (Manchester, Md./Delone Catholic [Pa.]) jumpers in the final minute extended the lead to 15-9 after 10 minutes.
• Ursinus tallied the first four points of the second period to trim the deficit to two but four straight points from Storer and layups from Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) and Hannah Ravenscroft (Berryville, Va./Clarke County) ballooned the advantage to 23-13 midway through the quarter. The Bears closed to within seven before McDaniel was able to push the lead out to 12 and take a 30-18 lead into the break.
• A Mondoro triple with 7:26 to play in the third quarter gave the Green Terror its largest lead at 35-20 but Aliyah Stephens responded immediately and Ursinus scored seven straight to close to within eight. Trailing 44-32, a Stephens free throw and Lydia Konstanzer layup in the final 45 seconds close the deficit to nine.
• A Mondoro putback stretched the lead back to double digits on the first possession of the fourth quarter but the Green Terror then missed its next four shots with four turnovers mixed in while eight points from Konstanzer keyed a 15-0 run. Storer halted the run with a second-chance jumper at the 3:51 mark. A Ward 3-pointer 30 seconds later closed the margin to 52-51 before Stephens and Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy traded layups. Four missed free throws by Ursinus kept hope alive for the Green Terror but a Konstanzer forced a jump ball with 10.8 seconds remaining. Gabby Downs hit the second of two free throws with 9.9 seconds showing to stretch the lead to two but McDaniel missed a jumper as time expired that would have forced overtime.
McDaniel concludes the season at home against Haverford on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.