WESTMINSTER, Md. – Samantha Smith (Bangkok, Thailand/International School of Bangkok) won a pair of individual events to lead McDaniel against Swarthmore in the Centennial Conference (CC) women's swimming opener on Saturday.
- The Garnet (1-0, 1-0 CC) defeated the Green Terror (0-1, 0-1 CC) by a score of 66-29.
Head of the Class: The following athletes won multiple events at the meet:
- Samantha Smith won the 50 free (25.11 seconds) and the 100 butterfly (59.94).
- Blair Boyle (Springfield, N.J./Villa Walsh Academy) won the 200 free (1:59.68) and the 100 free (55.16).
Precious Metal: The following athletes finished second or third in an event at the meet:
- The 200 medley relay of Sara Hegna (Brielle, N.J./Manasaquan), Carly Deickman (Bishopville, Md./Stephen Decatur), Samantha Smith and Blair Boyle finished second (1:54.79).
- Sara Hegna finished second in the 100 backstroke (101.35). She was also third in the 200 free (2:04.82).
- Becca Sykes (Collegeville, Pa./Methacton) finished third in the 1000 free (12:10.40) and 500 free (5:53.84).
- Joanna Wattenberg (Monrovia, Md./Urbana) finished third in the 50 free (26.66).
- Cara Dube (Milford, Conn./Joseph A. Foran) finished third in the 200 IM (2:24.13).
- Emma Perdue (Grasonville, Md./Annapolis Area Christian) finished third in the 100 breaststroke (1:14.96).
- The 200 free relay of Megan Gorsuch, Cara Dube, Joanna Wattenberg and Becca Sykes finished third (1:49.77).
Top 10 Worthy: The following athletes achieved a mark that ranks in the program's all-time top 10:
- Blair Boyle now ranks fifth in the 200 free (1:59.68) and 10th in the 100 free (55.16).
For the Foes: The following Swarthmore athletes won events at the meet:
- Hannah Kloetzer won the 100 free (11:10.26).
- Scout Clark won the 200 IM (2:15.50).
- Hyeyun Chae won the 100 backstroke (1:00.14).
- Emily Bley won the 500 free (5:37.64).
- Maggie Eberts won the 100 breaststroke (1:08.32).
- Sophie Moody and Saya Vaules joined Clark and Eberts to win the 200 medley relay (1:52.56).
- Barbara Fitzsimmons, Giorgia Piantanida and Clare Cushing joined Moody to win the 200 free relay (1:45.46).
Next Up: The Green Terror returns to action at home against Ursinus on Saturday, Nov. 11. Meet time is 1 p.m.