O’Meara takes tiebreak to cap 2-0 day
OWINGS MILLS, Md. – McDaniel took two of the three doubles matches before splitting singles with Stevenson for a 5-4 non-conference women's tennis victory on Tuesday.
Kiersten Patron (Timonium, Md./Dulaney) led a trio of double winners for the Green Terror (6-9), capping her 2-0 day with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at fourth singles.
Susannah Hobitzell and Steph Eyler were double winners for the Mustangs (4-6), including teaming for an 8-4 win at first doubles.
With the match deadlocked at 4-all, Elise O'Meara (Bowie, Md./Elizabeth Seton) had taken the first set of her No. 6 singles match with Michelle Huber 7-5 for the advantage in the match. The second set came down to a tiebreaker, which O'Meara captured 7-2 to take the set 7-6, win the match to cap a 2-0 day and the victory for McDaniel.
Laura Pollard (Federalsburg, Md./Colonel Richardson) rounded out the double winners for the Green Terror, taking a 6-2, 6-4 victory at fifth singles. She also partnered with O'Meara for an 8-5 victory at No. 3 doubles.
Patron teamed with Devan Hamric (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) for an 8-3 win at second doubles to give McDaniel a 2-1 edge heading to singles.
Eyler added a 6-2, 6-1 straight-set win at second singles for Stevenson. Hobitzell dropped the first set at No. 1 singles to Brittany Starlings (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) 6-2 before coming back to win the set, 7-5, 6-3.
The Green Terror returns to action at Johns Hopkins on Wednesday. Match time is 4 p.m.
McDaniel 5, Stevenson 4
1. Susannah Hoblitzell/Steph Eyler (S) def. Brittany Starlings/Carissa Grove 8-4;
2. Devan Hamric/Kiersten Patron (M) def. Jordan Rupard/Svetlana Widell 8-3;
3. Laura Pollard/Elise O'Meara (M) def. Katie Fersch/Nichole Young 8-5.
1. Hoblitzell (S) def. Starlings 2-6, 7-5, 6-3;
2. Eyler (S) def. Grove 6-2, 6-1;
3. Rupard (S) def. Hamric 6-2, 6-1;
4. Patron (M) def. Widell 6-1, 6-3;
5. Pollard (M) def. Fersch 6-2, 6-4;
6. O'Mera (M) def. Michelle Huber 7-5, 7-6 (7-2).