WESTMINSTER, Md. – Gettysburg swept doubles play before an injury default clinched a 5-0 Centennial Conference (CC) women's tennis win over McDaniel.
The match between the Bullets (7-4, 2-3 CC) and Green Terror (2-11, 0-5 CC) began on Mar. 27 before it was halted midway through singles play due to high winds and snow. The two teams were scheduled to resume the match on Thursday with Gettysburg leading, 4-0. Between the original competition date and the makeup date, McDaniel had a player originally in the lineup suffer an injury that prevented her from finishing her match. The injury default secured the match and the coaches elected to not resume the competition.
Kelsey Boyce and Meg Kelly won 8-1 at second singles. Boyce was the only player to complete her singles match, taking fifth singles, 6-0, 6-0.
Keyes was awarded the default win at sixth singles to go 2-0 in the match.
McDaniel returns to action at Muhlenberg on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.
Gettysburg 5, McDaniel 0
1. Isabelle Rodriguez/Bev Keyes (G) def. Kiersten Patron/Chelsea Barnett 8-4;
2. Kelsey Boyce/Meg Kelly (G) def. Laura Pollard/Elise O'Meara 8-1;
3. Laura Habecker/Maggie McLaughlin (G) def. Danielle Cloney/Sophie White 8-0.
1. Patron (M) vs. Rodriguez (G) 1-6, 0-3, unfinished;
2. Cloney (M) vs. Kelly (G) 0-6, 0-4, unfinished;
3. Barnett (M) vs. Habecker (G) 0-6, 0-3, unfinished;
4. White (M) vs. Charrisha Watkins (G) 1-6, 1-2, unfinished;
5. Boyce (G) def. Pollard 6-0, 6-0;
6. Keyes (G) def. O'Meara 3-0, retired.