WESTMINSTER, Md. – For the first time since 2006, McDaniel women's tennis will not have a 0 in the left column in the conference standings. With a 6-3 victory over Bryn Mawr in the home finale on Saturday, the Green Terror snapped a stretch of 66 matches in Centennial Conference (CC) play without a team victory.
McDaniel (3-13, 1-7 CC) did it behind five wins in singles play to overcome a 2-1 deficit following doubles play. The individual wins in a conference match marks the most since a 6-3 win over Ursinus on Apr. 7, 2001. The Green Terror's last conference victory also came against the Bears, winning by a 5-4 margin on Apr. 23, 2006.
Seven different McDaniel players were credited with a win on Saturday.
Catherine Austin won twice for the Owls (5-13, 0-8 CC), teaming with Jenny Vogel for an 8-5 win at first doubles before notching the only singles win, 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 3 slot.
With a Kendall Baller and Rachel Genoyese 8-1 win at second doubles, Bryn Mawr held a 2-1 lead in the match.
White won 6-4, 6-2 at No. 4 singles. Pollard took No. 5, 6-2, 6-2. Arnold won in the sixth slot, 6-3, 6-1.
Kiersten Patron (Timonium, Md./Dulaney) needed a tiebreaker in the first set but added a straight-set win for the fifth point. Patron took the opening set 7-6 after a 7-2 win in the tiebreaker before completing the straight-set win, 6-2.
Chelsea Barnett (Hanover, Pa./South Western) rallied from down 5-0 in her first set to win 7-5 before Baller forced a third set with a 6-3 win. Barnett prevailed in the final set, capping the milestone victory with a 6-4 win.
McDaniel returns to action at Washington (Md.) on Thursday. Match time is 3 p.m.
McDaniel 6, Bryn Mawr 3
1. Catherine Austin/Jenny Vogel (B) def. Kiersten Patron/Chelsea Barnett 8-5;
2. Kendall Baller/Rachel Genovese (B) def. Laura Pollard/Sophie White 8-1;
3. Lauren Lewis/Angela Johnson (M) def. Molly MacDougall/Tirsa Delate 8-6.
1. Patron (M) def. Vogel 7-6 (7-2), 6-2;
2. Barnett (M) def. Baller 7-5, 3-6, 6-4;
3. Austin (B) def. Danielle Cloney 6-0, 6-2;
4. White (M) def. Delate 6-4, 6-2;
5. Pollard (M) def. Amelia Arnold 6-3, 6-2;
6. Nicole Arnold (M) def. MacDougall 6-3, 6-1.