McDaniel (19-7) 3, Eastern (24-6) 1
What: Non-Conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Oct. 27
Where: St. David's, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel rallied after dropping a 25-13 first set to defeat Eastern, 25-20, 25-22 and 28-26.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with 15 and 20 digs.
• Taylor Bauman (Charlottesville, Md./Albemarle) added 23 digs.
• Allie Lugar (Wilmington, Del./Dupont) chipped in 11 kills.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) also had 11 kills.
• Abigail Hernandez (Gaithersburg, Md./Richard Montgomery) rounded out a quartet with double-digit kills with 10.
FOR THE FOES
• Caroline Shelby led the Eagles with 12 kills and 12 digs.
• Katie Stenby led six players in double-digit digs with 15.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Back-to-back Michelle Paulsen kills keyed a 6-0 start to the opening set for Eastern en route to the 25-13 win.
• Back-to-back Caroline Shelby kills helped the Eagles out to a 4-0 lead in the second set. However, kills from Abigail Hernandez and Hayley Mills (Ellicott City, Md./St. Vincent Pallotti) gave McDaniel a 20-19 edge. A pair of blocks from Mills down the stretch helped extend the lead for a 25-20 victory.
• A Marlowe Embry kill sparked a 5-0 run in the third set that turned a 9-7 deficit into a 12-9 advantage. Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) capped the run with one of her three aces. Three straight Paulsen kills gave the hosts a 13-12 edge before an 8-3 run gave McDaniel a 20-16 lead. Eastern closed to within 20-19 but kills from Embry and Lorenzen kept the Green Terror in front for a 25-22 win.
• Each team opened up leads of no fewer than four points in the fourth set. After the Eagles tied the score at 23-all, the teams traded points before Allie Lugar and Embry knocked down kills on successive plays for the 28-26 win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 20 digs were a season best for Marlowe Embry. It was her eighth double-double of the year.
• McDaniel learned it will be the fourth seed in next week's Centennial Conference tournament and will host Muhlenberg on Wednesday night.
McDaniel opens the conference tournament at home against Muhlenberg on Wednesday. Match time will be determined on Monday morning's conference call.