St. Mary's (Md.) (3-1) 13, McDaniel (0-1) 11 – Game 1
St. Mary's (Md.) (4-1) 4, McDaniel (0-2) 3 – Game 2
What: Non-conference baseball doubleheader
When: Tuesday, Feb. 26
Where: St. Mary's City, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
St. Mary's scored 15 of their 17 runs in the fifth inning or later of the two games to sweep McDaniel. The Seahawks took the opener 13-11 before completing the sweep,4-3.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) led the Green Terror with five hits on the day, rapping out three hits with two RBIs in game one and two knocks and two RBIs in game two.
• Jordan Rhodes (Fawn Grove, Pa./McDonogh [Md.]) threw 4 2/3 innings in game one, allowing three hits and no earned runs while striking out six.
• Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkimen School) had a 2-for-2 opener with four RBIs.
FOR THE FOES
• Brady Waters led the Seahawks with two hits in each game and drove in three on the day.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Sam Brustad (Silver Spring, Md./St. John's College) roped a one-out single to left in the second inning before a TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) walk. After a flyout, Naquan Holden singled to left, plating Brustad for a 1-0 lead.
• A Colin Franke leadoff double in the third and Evan Finch (Laurel, Md./St. John's College) one-out single doubled the lead.
• A two-out walk from Bowen Plagge in the home third coupled with an error made it a 2-1 game.
• McGuire drew a one-out walk in the fourth before a passed ball and Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) infield single put runners at the corners. A Holden sacrifice fly pushed the lead to 3-1 before a balk made it a 4-1 game. A Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) walk and Franke RBI knock stretched the advantage to 5-1.
• A pair of hit batters and two-run Holden single in the fifth keyed a five-run frame that extended the lead to 10-1.
• With two outs in the home fifth, Dillon Waters doubled before a walk and Brady Waters single loaded the bases. Back-to-back miscues led to four runs, cutting the deficit to 10-5.
• Jay Hammett drew a walk to lead off the sixth before three singles, a walk and fielder's choice cut the margin to 10-8 with two on and one out. A Dan McCann two-run single tied the game before a Joey Bryner double and Hammett two-run home run capped an eight-run inning for a 13-10 lead.
• An error, walk and Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) single loaded the bases. A Brustad ground ball made it a 13-11 game with two outs but Waters got a fly ball for the final out and the save.
• In game two, Daly led off the second with a single before a fielder's choice and error put Pezzano at second. Jenkins followed with a double down the line for a 1-0 lead. A Franke RBI groundout after Jenkins stole third made it a 2-0 game.
• In the bottom of the frame, Dakota Merritt singled and stole second before scoring on a Brady Waters single to cut the margin to 2-1.
• Bryner led off the sixth with a single before an intentional walk with one out and pair of errors gave the hosts a 3-2 lead. Waters capped the three-run frame with an RBI single.
• A two-base error and Franke single cut the deficit to 4-3 in the top of the seventh but Jackson Edelman was able to get three straight outs for the complete-game win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Jarod Pezzano's seventh inning knock in game one was his first collegiate hit.
• Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) went the distance on the hill in game two, striking out two and allowing just one earned run.
• Brustad, Daly and Holden all had two hits in game one.
McDaniel returns to action at Lancaster Bible on Friday. Game time is 3 p.m.