Ramapo (2-1) 10, McDaniel (4-5) 4 – Game 1
McDaniel (5-5) 8, Ramapo (2-2) 3 – Game 2
What: Non-conference baseball doubleheader
When: Sunday, Mar. 17
Where: Kissimmee, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored four runs in the sixth inning of game two to forge a split with Ramapo on its first day of the team's trip to the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. The Roadrunners took the opener 10-4 before the Green Terror captured the nightcap, 8-3.
• Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) threw a complete game in the nightcap, striking out six batters.
• DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) had three hits and two RBIs in the twinbill.
• Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) added three hits.
FOR THE FOES
• Anthony Kuzmenko led the Roadrunners with three hits, two runs scored and an RBI.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) was hit by a pitch to lead off the game. Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) made it back-to-back hit-by-pitches before a DJ Biscoe single loaded the bases. With one out, Tim Griest singled to right to score Franke for a 1-0 lead.
• Three straight walks and two passed balls tied the game before a one-out Nick Camilleri sacrifice fly gave Ramapo a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the first.
• Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) and Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) led off the second with back-to-back singles before a one-out Pezzano infield hit loaded the bases. Biscoe followed with a two-run knock up the middle for a 3-2 lead. A throwing error allowed Pezzano to score for a 4-1 lead.
• With one out in the sixth, Vincent Timpanelli had a pinch-hit single and Chris Nierva followed with a single of his own to put runners at the corners. Two more singles and an error made it a 4-3 game with the bases loaded. Kyle Buser singled up the middle to score two more runs before a walk and hit batter made it a 7-2 game. With the bases loaded, Derik Romberg cleared the bases with a double to center for the final margin.
• In game two, a pair of walks and an error staked McDaniel to an early 1-0 lead. With two outs, three more walks stretched the lead to 3-0.
• Nick Cuba led off the home first with a double before a walk and dropped fly ball on a sacrifice fly made it a 3-1 game.
• Vincent Timpanelli led off the fourth with a single before scoring on a Kellen Hardy triple. Liam Duffy followed with a double to the gap to tie the game.
• Singles from Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkiomen School) and Daly put the Green Terror back in front in the top of the fifth.
• With one out in the sixth, Biscoe and Griest rapped out back-to-back singles before both scored on a Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) double for a 6-3 lead. Wyatt Church's (Ocean City, Md./Stephen Decatur) second triple of the season pushed the lead to 7-3 before he scored on a TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) RBI groundout for the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Nine of the 10 batters to hit in game two for McDaniel had a single hit.
• Tom Daly had two hits in game one.
• Jordan Rhodes (Fawn Grove, Pa./McDonough [Md.]) struck out 10 in five innings of work in game one but did not factor in the decision.
McDaniel returns to action against Hope on Monday. Game time is 10:15 a.m.