McDaniel (6-6) 17, D'Youville (0-9) 1 (7 inn.)
What: Non-conference baseball game
When: Thursday, Mar. 21
Where: Auburndale, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel plated eight runs in the bottom of the first inning and cruised to a 17-1 victory over D'Youville in seven innings at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
• TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) led the Green Terror with a 4-for-4 day at the plate, adding three RBIs and two runs scored.
• Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkiomen School) added a 3-for-3 afternoonw with three RBIs.
FOR THE FOES
• Connor Truitt was 2-for-2 to lead the Spartans and scored the team's lone run.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) drew a walk to lead off the home first before stealing second. After a Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) walk and fielder's choice coupled with a Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) stolen base put runners at second and third, Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) doubled down the line for a 2-0 lead. Naquan Holden followed with an RBI single before scoring on a Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) triple for a 4-0 advantage. TJ McGuire and Zack Glover (Westminster, Md./Calvert Hall) followed with singles before a pair of two-out errors and Pezzano two-run single up the middle capped the eight-run first inning.
• Connor Truitt led off the top of the second with a single before moving to third on a Nick Jank double and scoring on a Brendan Burke RBI groundout to make it an 8-1 game.
• Two errors, a wild pitch and sacrifice fly opened the door for a five-run third inning. Downes, Holden, McGuire and Glover all had run-producing singles in the inning.
• The fourth inning started with another error before singles from Pezzano and Griest made it a 14-1 game. After a sacrifice fly and hit batter, McGuire knocked in Griest with a single for a 16-1 advantage.
• Jack Slater (Hebron, Conn./Rham) tripled with one out in the sixth before scoring on a two-out error for the final score.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Jarod Pezzano, Tim Griest, Ryan Downes and Zack Glover all had two hits on the morning.
• Zach Fortuna (Metuchen, N.J./Metuchen) went the distance with four strikeouts and scattered six hits.
McDaniel concludes the split doubleheader day against St. Olaf at 1 p.m.