McDaniel (8-8) 10, Stevenson (10-7) 3
What: Non-conference baseball game
When: Tuesday, Mar. 26
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel plated five runs in the first inning and carried that momentum to a 10-3 win over Stevenson.
• T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) led the Green Terror with two hits and five RBIs.
• Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) recorded a pair of hits, two runs scored and an RBI.
FOR THE FOES
• Mark Terrell went 3-for-4 to lead the Mustangs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After stranding the bases loaded in the top of the first, Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) drew a walk to lead off the home half of the frame. After a fielder's choice, Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) doubled to put runners at second and third. DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) beat the throw home on a Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) comebacker for a 1-0 lead. After a walk, Brad Thaxton singled up the middle to score Griest before a T.J. McGuire single plated Downes and a Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) double knocked in Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) for a 4-0 lead.
• A Billy McAdam one-out infield single and Kevin Murray two-out double dented the scoreboard for Stevenson in the second, cutting the deficit to 5-1.
• Biscoe doubled to lead off the fourth before moving to third on a Griest single. With two outs, Griest broke early and occupied the defense long enough for Biscoe to score for a 6-1 lead.
• The Mustangs started the fifth inning with three straight singles to make it a 6-2 game before a Alex Kidwiler sacrifice fly trimmed the margin to 6-3.
• Downes drew a walk to lead off the seventh before giving way to pinch-runner Darrius Speaks (Randallstown, Md./Metuchen), who reached second on a fielder's choice throwing error. Thaxton singled with one out to load the bases for McGuire, who dropped a ball just inside the right-field line that rolled to the wall to clear the bases with a double and 9-3 lead. McGuire took third on a wild pitch and scored on a fielding error to set the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Brody Cullison (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) picked up his first collegiate win on the mound, going five innings in his first start.
• Connor Schnable (Sellersville, Pa./Dock Mennonite) threw the final four innings with five strikeouts for his first save.
• Stevenson stranded 13 runners on base while McDaniel left eight on base.
• Tim Griest also had two hits on the afternoon.
• All nine starters reached base for the Green Terror.
• McDaniel defeated the Mustangs for the first time since 2006, snapping an eight-game losing streak in the series.
McDaniel returns to action at Hood on Wednesday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.