Franklin & Marshall (14-6, 1-0 CC) 8, McDaniel (8-9-1, 0-1 CC) 4 – Game 1
Franklin & Marshall (15-6, 2-0 CC) 10, McDaniel (8-10-1, 0-2 CC) 1 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Mar. 30
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Franklin & Marshall had five innings in which it scored multiple runs to sweep McDaniel in the conference opener. The Diplomats took game one 8-4 before completing the sweep, 10-1.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) led the Green Terror with three hits in the twinbill.
FOR THE FOES
• J.J. Freeman paced the Diplomats with five hits, including a pair of triples.
• Jonathan Cole threw seven innings of shutout ball, scattering five hits and fanning eight.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, J.J. Freeman ripped a one-out single in the third before scoring on a Kyle Ebert sacrifice fly for a 1-0 lead.
• Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) drew a leadoff walk in the fourth before taking second on a wild pitch and scoring on a Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkiomen School) one-out double down the line.
• In the bottom of the frame, Don DiLorento singled to right to open the inning. A one-out Will Samuel double put runners at second and third before DiLorento scored on an Alex Miller groundout to the right side for a 2-1 lead. A walk, wild pitch and error stretched the lead to 4-1 before a Freeman walk, Ebert double and Kelsey Launi single made it 6-1.
• A two-out error prolonged the seventh inning, allowing Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) to double and Colin Franke to single and make it a 6-3 game.
• A Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) two-out home run in the eighth closed the deficit to 6-4.
• In the bottom of the inning, however, Miller led off with a triple and scored on a Justin Cavegn one-out single. A fielder's choice and Freeman stolen base followed by an Ebert single and Launi walk loaded the bases. Freeman was able to score on a fielder's choice for the final margin.
• In game two, Freeman singled to lead off the bottom of the first before scoring on a Launi fielder's choice for a 1-0 lead.
• Singles from Miller, Kevin Lammers and Freeeman pushed the lead to 3-0 in the second.
• A Lammers one-out single and Freeman two-out triple made it 4-0 in the fourth.
• A two-run Miller single keyed a three-run fifth for a 7-0 advantage.
• The Diplomats tacked on a single run in the sixth to push the lead to eight.
• A Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) single and error coupled with a flyout and Jack Slater (Hebron, Conn./Rham) two-out single made it an 8-1 game in the top of the eighth.
• A Dan Marano two-out, two-run home run set the final margin in the bottom of the inning.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Washington (Md.) on Tuesday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.