Muhlenberg (14-12, 4-4 CC) 9, McDaniel (9-16-1, 1-7 CC) 4 – Game 1
Muhlenberg (15-12, 5-4 CC) 16, McDaniel (9-17-1, 1-8 CC) 6 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Apr. 13
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Muhlenberg scored 14 runs in the final three innings of the two games to complete a sweep of McDaniel. The Mules tallied a 9-4 win in game one before notching a 16-6 game-two victory.
• DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) led the Green Terror with three hits and two RBIs on the day.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) and Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) added three each each.
• Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) added two hits in the opener.
FOR THE FOES
• Matt Riebesell led the Mules with four hits, including a three-hit game one, to go with five RBIs.
• Jack Avallone added five hits and three RBIs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, John Serruto led off with a double before moving to third on a wild pitch and scoring on a Matt Riebesell two-out triple to the gap.
• McDaniel drew even in the bottom of the second. Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) led off with a single and stole second. A catcher's interference call and Tom Daly single loaded the bases for TJ McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point), who singled to shallow left to plate Griest.
• A Rob Cappadona leadoff single in the third coupled with a Serruto sacrifice and Cameron Miller double put the Mules back in front. Riebsell added a two-out single to score Miller for a 3-1 advantage.
• Colin Franke and Julian Jenkins each singled to lead off the sixth. A DJ Biscoe bunt single loaded the bases. After Muhlenberg traded a run for a double play, Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) doubled home Jenkins to tie the game.
• A walk and throwing error on the ensuing sacrifice attempt put two on to start the eighth inning. After a pitching change, Nathan Miller (Edinburg, Va./Stonewall Jackson) got a pickoff on an early break play and the Green Terror elected to issue an intentional walk to Riebesell. Jack Avallone sent a high fly into right but the ball got lost in the sun and dropped in for a single to load the bases. A walk forced in Chris Grillo with the go-ahead run before a fielder's choice and throwing error stretched the lead to 6-3.
• Jenkins led off the bottom of the inning with a double and stole third before scoring on a Griest groundout.
• A two-out throwing error, walk and Riebesell double pushed the lead to 8-4 in the ninth. Avallone followed with a single through the right side for the final margin.
• Game two was a back-and-forth affair. McDaniel took an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second. A fielding error with one out and three straight singles from Daly, McGuire and Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) made it a 1-0 game. With the bases loaded and two outs, Jenkins drew a walk to force in Daly for a 2-0 lead.
• A Cappadona single and Grillo double cut the deficit in half in the top of the third.
• A walk, Billy Brittingham bunt single and two-run, two-out double from Cappadona gave Muhlenberg a 3-2 lead in the fourth.
• The Green Terror responded with a McGuire leadoff single in the bottom of the inning. A one-out bunt single from Franke coupled with a throwing error put two runners in scoring position. A two-out Biscoe single cleared the bases for a 4-3 edge.
• A single, error and two-run Brittingham double keyed a three-run fifth that gave the Mules a 6-4 edge.
• McDaniel once again responded. Evan Finch (Laurel, Md./St. John's College) and Daly poked one-out singles up the middle and Franke drove a two-run single through the left side to tie the game.
• In the sixth, Grillo doubled with one out before RBI singles from Avallone and Brittingham gave the visitors an 8-6 lead.
• A six-run seventh inning keyed by four walks and three-run Brittingham home run stretched the lead to 14-6.
• Four pinch hitters in the ninth rapped out hits to score two more runs and set the final margin.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Dickinson on Tuesday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.