McDaniel (10-19-1, 2-11 CC) 17, Ursinus (16-14, 6-7 CC) 16 – Game 1
Ursinus (17-16, 7-7 CC) 12, McDaniel (10-20-1, 2-12 CC) 6 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Apr. 20
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel and Ursinus combined for 51 runs and 75 hits in the doubleheader, which the teams split. The Green Terror held on for a 17-16 game-one win before the Bears scored eight runs late to earn the split 12-6 in game two.
• Jack Slater (Hebron, Conn./Rham) hit his first two home runs for the Green Terror in game two.
• Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) had seven hits on the day, including a 4-for-4 nightcap, to go with three stolen bases.
• Tim Griest (Lititz, Pa./Warwick) had five hits that included a four-hit, five-RBI opener.
FOR THE FOES
• Alex Mumme had six hits and three RBIs to lead the Bears, including coming a double shy of the cycle in game one.
• Jon Moldoff added six hits and seven RBIs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Alex Mumme tripled with one out in the first before scoring on a Carter Usowski sacrifice fly for a 1-0 led.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) singled and Julian Jenkins doubled to start the bottom of the first. After a DJ Biscoe (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) sacrifice fly tied the game, Tim Griest singled to plate Jenkins for a 2-1 lead. A Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) single with two outs and T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) double made it a 3-1 game.
• Jack Slater drew a leadoff walk in the second before a one-out Franke home run to left-center made it a 5-1 game. With two outs, Biscoe and Griest each singled to force the first of six Bear pitching changes. Thaxton greeted the new arm with a double to right for an 7-1 lead.
• Singles from Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti), Slater and Franke stretched the advantage to 8-1 in the third.
• A Usowski double and Jon Moldoff single made it 8-2 in the fourth before the teams combined for 17 runs over the next two innings.
• A Moldoff two-run double and Will Peiffer two-run triple in keyed a six-run top of the fifth that tied the game.
• McGuire and Downes drew back-to-back walks to start the bottom of the frame before a wild pitch and sacrifice fly put the Green Terror back on top. Ursinus issued an intentional walk to Franke to set up the force but Jenkins singled up the middle to score one run and a hit batter loaded the bases. Griest followed with a bases-clearing double to push the lead to 13-8.
• A Mumme solo home run with one out in the sixth started another rally before Peiffer capped the six-run frame with a grand slam for a 14-13 edge.
• In the bottom of the seventh, Jenkins poked a one-out single up the middle and moved up to second on a failed pickoff attempt. With two outs, Griest singled him home before Thaxton and McGuire each singled to make it 15-14. Downes followed with a double to plate both runners and stretch the lead to 17-14.
• Jerry Scavone reached on an infield single to lead off the eighth before a pair of walks and one-out bunt to the right side made it 17-15.
• A fielding error and singles from Usowski and Scavone drew the visitors within one but Zach Fortuna (Metuchen, N.J./Metuchen) got the final two outs for his first save of the season.
• In game two, a pair of errors helped the Bears take a 2-0 lead in the top of the first.
• With two outs in the bottom of the second, Slate sent a solo shot over the fence in center. Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) followed with a single up the middle and Franke bounced a ball through the left side. Jenkins followed with a triple to center for a 3-2 lead.
• A one-out hit batter and singles from Moldoff and Peiffer drew the game even in the third.
• A Dom Fiorentino one-out walk, wild pitch and Mumme double put Ursinus in front 4-3 in the fourth.
• That lead remained until a five-run seventh inning broke the game open. A one-out Peiffer single, Tom Jacobs walk and Eric Gross single stretched the advantage to 5-3 before a wild pitch and Mike Stanziale two-run double pushed the lead to 7-3. Singles from Fiorentino, Mumme and Moldoff made it 9-3.
• A Mumme single, Usowski walk and three-run Moldoff home run stretched the lead to 12-3 with one out in the top of the ninth.
• Slater led off the bottom of the frame with a home run before Pezzano, Will Strauss (Freeport, N.Y./Waldorf) and Jenkins all singled to load the bases and force a pitching change. Jimmy Danielczyk (Sparks, Md./Hereford) singled to plated Pezzano before a double play allowed Strauss to score and make it 12-6. After a walk, Matt Bull got a flyout to end the game.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Colin Franke, Julian Jenkins, Brad Thaxton, Ryan Downes and Jack Slater all had three-hit openers.
• Jarod Pezzano had three hits in game two while Slater and Franke and two each.
• Connor Schnable (Sellersville, Pa./Dock Mennonite) picked up his first win on the hill in game one.
• Jordan Rhodes (Fawn Grove, Pa./McDonogh [Md.]) struck out 10 in 6 1/3 innings of work in game two.
• The 22 hits in game one were a season high for McDaniel.
• The two home runs in game two by Jack Slater was the first known time in program history that a player hit two home runs in the same game.
McDaniel returns to action at Gettysburg on Tuesday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.