McDaniel (12-22-1, 4-14 CC) 5, Gettysburg (16-20, 5-13 CC)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball game
When: Sunday, Apr. 28
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored the final five runs of the games and got a four-hit, nine-strikeout performance on the mound for a 5-2 win over Gettysburg.
• Brad Thaxton (Stevensville, Md./DeMatha) closed out his collegiate career with his first nine-inning complete game, fanning nine and scattering four hits and just two unearned runs.
• Colin Franke (Highland Mills, N.Y./Cornwall Central) led the offense with a 3-for-4 day at the plate.
FOR THE FOES
• Ryan Augustus led the Bullets with a two-run single in the first inning.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Ryan LaCoe poked a one-out single down the left-field line in the first inning before an error and double steal on a strikeout put runners at second and third with two outs. Ryan Augustus dropped a two-run single into center field to stake the visitors to a 2-0 lead.
• After being limited to just three baserunners and one hit through four innings, T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) led off the fifth with a single to right. Ryan Downes (Hagerstown, Md./St. Maria Goretti) followed with a single that dropped in front of the center fielder to put two on. After a passed ball, a Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkiomen School) two-run double to the gap tied the game. After a one-out bunt went for a base hit, Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) dropped a double just inside the right-field line to score Holden for a 3-2 lead.
• Tim Griest (Warwick, Pa./Lititz) and Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) drew back-to-back walks to lead off the sixth before a fielding error with one out made it 4-2 with runners at second and third. After an intentional walk and foul out, Colin Franke beat out an infield single for a 5-2 advantage.
• After an infield single and fielding error with one out in the fourth inning, Thaxton retired 17 of the last 18 Gettysburg batters to come to the plate. A two-out, eighth-inning walk was the only blemish on the ledger.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Julian Jenkins and T.J. McGuire had two hits each as part of a 10-hit attack for the Green Terror.