McDaniel (1-0) 27, Catholic (0-1) 12
What: Non-Conference football opener
When: Saturday, Sept. 1
Where: Washington, D.C.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored three touchdowns in the second quarter and pitched a second-half shutout to defeat Catholic 27-12. The Green Terror scored three touchdowns from inside the 10-yard line and each freshman kicker hit a fourth-quarter field goal.
• Davon Ingram (Sparrows Point, Md./Dundalk) caught five passes for a career-best 88 yards.
• John Chamberlin (Williamstown, N.J./Williamstown) ran the ball 16 times for a career-high 111 yards and a touchdown.
• Matt Cathey (Brick, N.J./Brick Memorial) added 20 carries for 69 yards and a score.
• Angelo Payne (Baltimore, Md./Western Tech) led the defense with nine tackles.
FOR THE FOES
• Brady Berger threw for 226 yards, completing 27 of 45 passes.
• Jake Ballard led three players in double-digit tackles with 16 tackles.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Brady Berger split wide and took the ball on a reverse before finding Andrew Lunarola for a 31-yard touchdown pass to complete a 10-play, 74-yard drive. The ensuing PAT was missed to keep it 6-0 with 6:49 to play in the first quarter.
• After an Aris Mayield (Calverton, Md./Parkside) interception, Ben Igo (York, Pa./York Suburban) hit Davon Ingram for a 62-yard gain. John Chamberlin paid it off one play later with a two-yard run and the PAT made it a 7-6 lead with 11:26 to play in the second quarter.
• Matt Cathey did the lion's share of the work on a five-play, 47-yard drive, including a seven-yard touchdown with 5:18 to play for a 14-6 lead.
• Berger found Mekhail White on a five-yard fade in the back corner of the end zone but failed on the two-point conversion to close within 14-12 with 1:30 to play in the second quarter.
• The Green Terror responded. Igo hit Aaron Grant (Brooklyn, N.Y./Erasmus Hall) on the first play of the drive before capping the five-play drive with a one-yard dive to stretch the lead to 21-12 with six seconds remaining.
• Peyton Denlinger (Lancaster, Pa./Lampeter-Strasburg) capped a 16-play drive with his first collegiate field goal – a 31-yarder – with 3:12 to play, stretching the lead to 24-12.
• John Compere (Millersville, Md./Severna Park) added a 37-yard field goal with 1:04 to play for his first collegiate field goal.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Peyton Denlinger and John Compere each converted their first collegiate field goals in the fourth quarter.
• Jalen Jones (Baltimore, Md./Mount St. Joseph) made his first collegiate interception, sealing the victory with 3:08 to play.
• John Chamberlin recorded his second 100-yard rushing game, running the ball 16 times for 111 yards.
• Ben Igo threw for 212 yards, completing 15 of 22 passes in his first collegiate start.
• Davon Ingram caught five passes for a career-best 88 yards.
McDaniel returns to action at home in the Centennial Conference opener against Moravian on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.