McDaniel (1-0) 24, Misericordia (0-1) 14
What: Non-conference football game
When: Saturday, Sept. 7
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored 24 straight points over a 28-minute span of game time for a 24-14 victory over Misericordia in the season opener.
• Eisley Kim (Gaithersburg, Md./Quince Orchard) had a 10-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter to go with a pair of tackles on special teams to lead the Green Terror.
• Aaron Pray III (Germantown, Md./Maret School) had three punt returns for 76 yards, setting up each of the first two touchdowns with big returns.
• Jarius Ransom (Williamstown, N.J./Williamstown) led a balanced defense with 11 tackles, including a pair of sacks.
FOR THE FOES
• Brady Williams went 19-for-32 for the Cougars, throwing for 312 yards and two touchdowns.
• Isaiah Williams made nine catches for 97 yards.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After the Green Terror missed a 47-yard field goal attempt at the end of its first drive – an 11-play march, Brady Williams marched his team 70 yards in nine plays, capping the drive with an 18-yard touchdown pass to Sam Gillison for a 7-0 lead with 6:15 to play in the opening quarter.
• The teams traded punts, including Peyton Denlinger (Lancaster, Pa./Lampeter-Strasburg) pinning the Cougars at the 10-yard line. The defense held for a three-and-out that included a Jarius Ransom and Chris Hauffman (Westminster, Md./Westminster) sack on third down to force a punt. Aaron Pray fielded the punt at the McDaniel 48 and scampered 23 yards to set his offense up at the Misericordia 21.
• Kevin Sheckells (Pasadena, Md./St. Mary's) rushed for seven yards on third-and-4 and then hit Owen Reese (Forest Hill, Md./Calvert Hall) on second-and-goal from the five for a touchdown. Denlinger added the PAT to tie the game with 2:02 to play in the first half.
• The Cougars turned in a pair of big gains on back-to-back plays to move to the McDaniel 25 but Aris Mayfield (Calverton, Md./Parkdale) picked off a pass at the seven-yard line with 17 ticks remaining.
• Misericorida took its first drive of the second half inside the Green Terror 10 but an 18-yard Ransom sack and intentional grounding call forced a 43-yard field goal attempt that came up short.
• Denlinger once again pinned the Cougars at the 10 and the defense forced a three-and-out before a 47-yard Pray return set up first down at the Misericordia 11. Two plays into the drive, Tyler Palermiti (Hudson, Fla./Dunedin) found Kim for a 10-yard touchdown and 14-7 lead with 3:38 showing.
• Palermiti and Sheckells combined to engineer a nine-play, 85-yard that Palermiti capped by hitting Cameron Garcia (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) on a slant for a 26-yard score and 21-7 lead with 11:41 on the fourth-quarter clock.
• Denlinger added a 41-yard field goal with 4:02 to play but Williams responded with pass plays of 27 and 39 for a two-play touchdown drive that closed the deficit to 24-14 with 3:26 on the clock.
• Williams once again drove the Cougars deep into McDaniel territory but Nah'shon Godfrey (Baltimore, Md./Baltimore City College) picked off a pass in the back of the end zone to seal it with 24 seconds left.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The touchdowns by Owen Reese, Eisley Kim and Cameron Garcia were all their first collegiate scores.
• Kevin Sheckells went 2-for-2 for six yards but ran seven times for 47 yards in his Green Terror debut.
• Tyler Palermiti completed 12 of 21 passes for 130.
• Perry Stefanelli (Rockville, Md./Good Counsel) ran for 58 yards on 13 carries in his return to the lineup.
• Nah'shon Godfrey had seven tackles while Habeeb Baba (Bristol, Pa./Truman) added seven.
• Demarcus White picked up the victory in his first game as head coach. He is the first Green Terror coach to do that since Tim Keating debuted in 1993 with a 16-14 home win over Juniata.
• Misericordia outgained McDaniel 389-299 on the day, including 312-136 through the air.
McDaniel returns to action in the Centennial Conference opener at Moravian on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.