Muhlenberg (4-3, 2-1 CC) 65, McDaniel (2-4, 0-3 CC) 52
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Dec. 1
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Muhlenberg built a 14-point first half lead before McDaniel was able to cut the deficit to one on three occasions in the second half. The Mules, however, finished the game on an 11-0 run to seal a 65-52 win.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) led the Green Terror with 14 points and seven rebounds off the bench.
• DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) matched him with 14 points.
• Tony Tavares (Chesapeake Beach, Md./Huntingtown) added seven points and nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Dan Gaines led the Mules with 15 points and six rebounds.
• Matt Gnias added 12 points.
• Nate Henty Brown led the way on the glass with 10 rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Triples from Matt Gnias and Michael Morreale stakes Muhlenberg to a 6-0 lead just 2:47 into the contest. After DJ Harper and Dan Gaines traded 3-pointers, two Harper free throws and a Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) trey trimmed the deficit to one. Clinging to a 12-11 edge, Matt Gnias hit a 3-pointer to spark an 11-0 run over a 4-minute, 2-second span to open up a 12-point lead with 8:36 showing. After a Sproul free throw, Gnias hit a 3-pointer nearly a minute later to make it a 26-12 game.
• Caleb Johnson countered with a driving layup at the 6:54 mark, sparking a 7-0 burst that made it a five-point game with 2:38 to play in the half. Gnias and Erik Werheim, however, hit layups in the final 1:37 to stretch the lead to 30-21 at the intermission.
• Layups from Austin Cannon (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) and Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) around a Harper three-point play cut the margin to 37-36 with 13:31 to play. The teams traded baskets over the next nearly six minutes before a Gaines triple stretched the lead to 51-45 with 6:21 remaining.
• Layups from Isaac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) and Johnson made it a two-point contest with 5:16 to play. Gaines and Johnson traded 3-pointers before a Gaines floater at the free-throw line with 3:17 remaining ignited the 11-0 close. Spencer Duke, Dallas Hoffman and Nate Henty Brown all followed with 3-pointers on each of the next four Muhlenberg possessions.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel had its worst shooting half of the season, hitting just 7 of 34 shots (20.6 percent) in the first half.
McDaniel returns to action at Dickinson on Wednesday. Game time is 7 p.m.