McDaniel (5-7) 99, Goucher (3-9) 55
What: Non-Conference men's basketball game
When: Thursday, Jan. 3
Where: Towson, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel drained 10 first-half 3-pointers to help build a 51-23 lead en route to a 99-55 victory over Goucher.
• Isaac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) led the Green Terror with 16 points.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) added 14 points.
• Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) chipped in 11 points.
• DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) contributed 10 points off the bench.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) added nine points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Cameron Isaacs was the only player to reach double figures for the Gophers, tallying 11.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Mike Wallace opened the game with a 3-pointer – his first of three on the night. After a Pat Goralski layup, Caleb Johnson answered with a 3-pointer. Cameron Isaacs also hit from long range to trim the deficit back to one but a second Wallace triple with 17:21 showing sparked a 25-6 run that opened up a 31-11 lead with 8:00 on the first-half clock. Nine different Green Terror players scored during the run.
• Back-to-back 3-pointers from Timmy O'Farrell and Foday Kamara closed the deficit to 14 but an Isaac Ray three-point play pushed the lead back to 17 – its smallest through the remainder of the opening stanza. McDaniel scored the final nine points of the first half.
• Layups from Wallace and Johnson in the first 1:06 of the second half pushed the lead to 32 and Goucher got no closer than 29 the rest of the way. A Josh Sproul layup with 9:39 to play made it a 40-point game for the first time at 78-38 and the lead swelled as large as 49 on a Zach Moran (Millstone, N.J./Saint John Vianney) layup with 1:44 to play that made it a 99-50 game.
THE INSIDE STORY
• After a 90-point outing on Sunday, it marked the first time since 1986 that the Green Terror scored 90 or more points in back-to-back games.
• Six players scored eight or more points for McDaniel.
• It was the sixth time this season that the Green Terror has netted double-digit 3-pointers but the first time reaching that mark before halftime.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Ursinus on Tuesday. Game time is 8 p.m.