Johns Hopkins (17-3, 11-2 CC) 70, McDaniel (6-14, 2-11 CC) 57
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Jan. 30
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins scored the game's first 10 points and never trailed in a 70-57 win over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Michael Gardner led the Blue Jays with 25 points, seven rebounds and five assists.
• Daniel Vila chipped in 12 points and seven rebounds.
• Braeden Johnson added 12 points and eight rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• It took until 1:32 had elapsed in the game but Michael Gardner finally opened the scoring with a 15-foot jumper, sparking the opening 10-0 run. Gardner and Braeden Johnson each had 3-pointers during the run. DJ Harper snapped the 3-minute, 11-second run with a 3-pointer of his own before Johnson answered at the other end with a triple. A Harper layup and Aaron Washington 3-pointer trimmed the deficit to five but the Blue Jays responded with an 11-0 run that pushed the lead to 24-8 with 7:21 showing.
• Trailing 28-12, Harper hit a 3-pointer to spark an 8-2 run, closing to within 30-20 before a Daniel Vila layup with 34 seconds remaining pushed the lead back to 12 at the break.
• The lead remained between 11 and 15 points through the first eight minutes of the second half before back-to-back Johnson 3-pointers pushed the lead to its largest pint at 48-31 with 11:07 to play. Washington drained a 3-pointer with 7:28 remaining to open a personal 8-0 run that trimmed the deficit to 55-46 just 46 seconds later.
• Five points from Joey Kern keyed an 8-2 counter, however, that pushed the lead back to 15 with 4:07 showing. A Washington three-point play cut the margin to 65-56 with 1:26 remaining but the Blue Jays hit five of their seven free-throw attempts to keep the margin at double digits throughout the final 1:02.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Johns Hopkins finished with a 43-26 advantage on the boards.
• Michael Gardner reached 1,000 points for his career of the game's first basket.
• Aaron Washington reached 20 points for the second straight game and eighth time in 2018-19.
• The four assists tied a career high for DJ Harper.
McDaniel returns to action at Ursinus on Saturday. Game time is 7 p.m.