No. 7 Swarthmore (22-3, 15- 3 CC) 77, McDaniel (7-18, 3-15 CC) 59
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 16
Where: Swarthmore, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore used a 16-3 run over a 4-minute, 26-second stretch midway through the first half to open up a 13-point lead and defeat McDaniel, 77-59.
• DJ Harper (Bowie, Md./Riverdale Baptist) led the Green Terror with 18 points and seven rebonds.
FOR THE FOES
• Zac O'Dell led the Garnet with 20 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots.
• Conor Harkins added 17 points and five assists.
• Cam Wiley chipped in 15 points, six rebounds and five assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Braden Caldwell (York, Pa./Dallastown Area) and Greg Scarborough (Halethrope, Md./Lansdowne) opened the game with 3-pointers around a Conor Harkins jumper for a 6-2 lead. After two ties and five lead changes over the next six minutes, Caldwell hit a pair of free throws for a 13-12 advantage with 12:16 on the clock. Cam Wiley, however, responded with a triple to spark the game-changing 16-3 run. Wiley had eight points during the stretch.
• Trailing 33-17, Isaac Ray (Fredericksburg, Pa./Northern Lebanon) hit a 3-pointer and Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) converted a layup to close the margin to 11 with 6:18 to play in the first half. Wilkey and Harkins, however, canned treys on back-to-back possessions to push the lead to 39-22. Three DJ Harper free throws made it a 41-31 game with 1:13 to play in the opening half before Wiley hit two from the charity stripe to make it a 12-point game at the break.
• After more than two minutes elapsed at the start of the second half with no points, Zac O'Dell hit a layup with 17:42 showing to make it a 45-31 game and Swarthmore maintained a lead between 14 and 19 points for the remainder of the contest.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The Garnet clinched the top seed in the CC tournament with the win.