McDaniel (1-1) 67, SUNY Maritime (1-3) 55
What: Non-Conference men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Nov. 16
Where: Owings Mills, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used a game-ending 11-0 run to secure a 67-55 win over SUNY Maritime in the consolation game of the Buffalo Wild Wings Classic hosted by Stevenson.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) led the Green Terror with 15 points to earn a spot on the all-tournament team.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) chipped in 17 points and nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Brendan McGovern led the Mariners with 22 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Tied at 5-all early, Brendan McGovern went on a personal 8-0 run to stake Maritime to a lead with 14:54 showing in the first half. McDaniel closed to within 16-13 on a Stephen Lang (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) 3-pointer with 9:30 remaining. The Mariners pushed the lead back out to 23-17 but another Lang triple and Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) fast-break layup made it a 23-22 game with 3:43 showing.
• Clinging to a 30-28 lead at the break, Jaylin Gray scored on Maritime's first possession of the second half. The Green Terror tied the game seven times before Caleb Johnson finally gave his team a lead with two free throws at the 5:23 mark. Another Wallace layup on the break pushed the lead to four before Mike Regan hit three free throws to close the margin to one with 4:32 to play but the Mariners did not score again the rest of the way. McDaniel went 6-for-8 from the stripe in the final 4:08 to help seal the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Mike Wallace finished with 12 points while Kaelen Kanaeley (Rochester, N.Y./Irondequoit) had 10 points.
McDaniel returns to action at Wilson on Tuesday. Game time is 7 p.m.