McDaniel finishes first
What: Mason-Dixon Collegiate Classic in men's golf action
When: Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 28-29
Where: The Bridges GC – Abbottstown, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel fired a second-round score of 297 to turn a one-stroke lead after the first round into an 11-shot victory at its own Mason-Dixon Collegiate Classic. The Green Terror posted a two-round score of 593.
• Kevin Keane (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) claimed the individual title with a score of 146. He fired an even-par 72 on Saturday to share the lead before carding a round of 74 on Sunday to win by two shots.
FOR THE FOES
• York (Pa.) finished second with a score of 604 (297-307) in a field of 18 teams and 96 golfers.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Christian Garruppo (Hilton Head, S.C./Hilton Head Prep) finished tied for second overall with a score of 148, posting matching rounds of 144.
• Adam Gibbs (Virginia Beach, Va./Frank W. Cox) finished 10th in the field with a score of 151, posting a 77 on Saturday and carding a 74 on Sunday.
• Chuck Csejka (Orange, Conn./Amity Regional) finished 18th overall with a score of 152 that included a 73 in the opening round.
• Ryan McGarry (North Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames) rebounded to shoot 159 and finish 56th overall after registering a score of 75 over the final 18.
• Collin MacDonald (Beverly, Mass./Beverly) played as an individual and finished fifth with a score of 149 that included an even-par 72 on Sunday.
• Mike Mandel (New Hartford, N.Y./New Hartford), Ryan Nerino (Hershey, Pa./Hershey Area) and Matthew O'Neill (Port Deposit, Md./Perryville) also played as individuals. Mandel and Nerino were 70th (167) while O'Neill was 90th (181).
THE INSIDE STORY
• The victory for Kevin Keane was the first in his collegiate career.
• With the 296 and 297, McDaniel has now fired six straight sub-300 rounds as a team.
• It was the second team victory for the Green Terror this fall.
McDaniel returns to action at the Oglethorpe Royal Lakes Invitational on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 7-8.