McDaniel (1-2) 12, Goucher (0-3) 7
What: Non-conference men's lacrosse game
When: Wednesday, Feb. 27
Where: Towson, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel never trailed in the game but scored the game's final four markers to pull away for a 12-7 win over Goucher.
• Micah Brooks (Woolford, Md./Cambridge South Dorchester) led the Green Terror attack with four goals and an assist.
• Jakob Katzen (Wilmington, Del./Wilmington Friends) made 17 saves in goal.
• Joey Conklin (Westminster, Md./Westminster) added seven ground balls, two caused turnovers, a goal and an assist.
• Nick DeLoriers (Abingdon, Md./John Carroll) contributed three goals and two assists.
FOR THE FOES
• Matt Woodson led the Gophers with two goals and an assist. He also had six ground balls.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Micah Brooks finished a pass from Nick DeLoriers just 1:18 into the game, staking McDaniel to an early 1-0 lead. DeLoriers then finished a solo run nearly four minutes before Zephan Harnish caged an unassisted goal midway through the opening period.
• Jared Payne (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) stretched the lead to 3-1 just 1:10 into the second quarter before back-to-back Andrew Sade unassisted tallies, including one with a man advantage, tied the game with 7:25 showing. Pat Fegan (Edgewater, Md./South River) canned a DeLoriers pass for an extra-man goal to put the Green Terror back in front a minute later. Rashaan Evans answered with a man-up goal of his own for the Gophers, once again typing the game with 3:53 on the clock. DeLoriers, however, needed just 19 seconds to respond and bury a pass from Brooks. A Joey Conklin goal and Brooks man-up marker in the final 1:19 made it a 7-4 game at the break.
• After Harnish and Brooks traded goals in the first 5:35 of the third quarter, Matt Woodson converted man-up tallies on either side of the quarter break to close the deficit to 8-7.
• Brooks, however, reestablished a multiple-goal lead with 7:54 remaining, starting a four-goal flurry to finish the game. DeLoriers added a third man-up tally off a Fegan pass with 6:20 remaining before Fegan converted from Conklin a minute later. Jackson Reilly (Churchton, Md./Southern) capped the scoring with 1:47 to play.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Goucher finished the game with a 45-38 advantage in shots.
• Jakob Katzen has made 17 saves in each of the last two games.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Coast Guard on Saturday. Game time is 3:30 p.m.