St. Mary's (Md.) (1-4) 8, McDaniel (1-4) 6
What: Non-conference men's lacrosse game
When: Saturday, Mar. 9
Where: St. Mary's City, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
St. Mary's (Md.) outscored McDaniel 4-0 in the third quarter and held off a late push by the Green Terror for an 8-6 win.
• Jakob Katzen (Wilmington, Del./Wilmington Friends) made 13 saves in goal to lead the Green Terror.
• Jared Payne (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) led the attack with a pair of goals. He also had four ground balls.
FOR THE FOES
• Jude Brown led the Seahawks with two goals and two assists.
• Erich Wuesthoff added two goals.
• Ross Snodderly made 17 saves between the pipes.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Jude Brown and Micah Brooks (Woolford, Md./Cambridge South Dorchester) traded unassisted goals 38 seconds apart for a 1-all score midway through the first quarter.
• Erich Wuesthoff and Jared Payne then traded markers 49 seconds apart early in the second period. Payne made it back-to-back markers for a 3-2 lead with 2:23 to play in the first half. Ray LaPlaca finished a pass from Brown to deadlock the game once again with 53 ticks remaining.
• Bown then found Connor Benhoff with 8:17 showing in the third quarter before Dominic Venanzi found the back of the net a minute later for a 5-3 lead. Venanzi then found Wuesthoff with 4:11 on the clock and Brown finished a solo run for a 7-3 lead.
• Michael Bucci capped a 6-0 Seahawk run just 13 seconds into the fourth quarter. Pat Fegan (Edgewater, Md./South River) broke up the run with 13:51 remaining. Nick DeLoriers (Abingdon, Md./John Carroll) found Bryce Brookhart (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. Hebron) late in a one-minute man-up situation to close the margin to 8-5. DeLories then made it a two-goal game with 7:15 to play but Ross Snooderly kept the Green Terror off the board the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel finished with a 38-34 advantage in shots, including 18-4 in the fourth quarter. Ross Snooderly made six saves in the fourth quarter.
• Jack Paras (Barrington, R.I./Barrington) led the defense with three caused turnovers.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Stockton on Wednesday. Game time is 5 p.m.