McDaniel finishes 13th at ECAC championship
What: Men's outdoor track and field meet
When: Wednesday-Thursday, May 15-16
Where: New Haven, Conn. – Southern Connecticut State
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel had four athletes score points at the 2019 ECAC Div. III men's outdoor track and field championship. The quartet earned 27 points to place 13th among 25 teams that scored points.
• Billy Emerson (Germantown, Md./Watkins Mills) won the shot put with a personal-best throw of 16.26 meters, which betters his own No. 3 mark on the program's all-time list and his program's American record in the event. The throw currently sits 15th on the NCAA Div. III performance list. The top 20 declared athletes make the NCAA championship field, which will be announced on Saturday. Emerson also claimed a bronze medal in the discus with a throw of 39.76 meters.
• Gavin Gibson (Newark, Del./Sanford) took silver in the 800 with a time of 1:56.77.
• Cade Leek finished seventh in the decathlon with 3131 points. His top scoring event came in the pole vault, where he cleared 3.45 meters to earn 469 points.
• Nevin Stambaugh (Taneytown, Md./Francis Scott Key) placed eighth in the 110 hurdles with a time of 17.05 seconds. He qualified eighth with a time of 16.85 seconds. He was also 13th in the long jump with a leap of 6.16 meters.
FOR THE FOES:
• Rutgers-Newark won the team title with 87 points.
Emerson would compete on Friday, May 24 at SPIRE Institute in Geneva, Ohio at the NCAA championship meet.