McDaniel (3-2) 12, D'Youville (0-4) 4
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Sunday, Mar. 17
Where: Kissimmee, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored the final 12 runs of the game and allowed just four baserunners in the final five innings for a 12-4 win over D'Youville in the opening game of The Spring Games.
• Fiona Johnson (Derwood, Md./Magruder) led the Green Terror in the circle, striking out 14 batters and allowing just one walk and three hits in 5 1/3 innings of relief.
• Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) led the offense with three hits and two RBIs.
FOR THE FOES
• Victoria Purucker led the Spartans with a 2-for-2 day at the plate.
• Ashley Carney added two hits of her own.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Darian Evans led off the bottom of the second with a single through the left side before a sacrifice and walk put runners at first and second. After a fielding error loaded the bases, Rachel Colan followed with a single up the middle and Ashley Carney had a single to left for a 2-0 lead. A two-out Megan Meyer knock made it a 4-0 game. Fiona Johnson came on in relief and got her first of 14 strikeouts to end the frame.
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led off the top of the third with a single before stealing second and scoring on a Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) double. Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) followed with a single before beating the throw to second on a fielder's choice to load the bases. An Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Md./Lakewood Ranch) single made it a 4-2 game. Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) and Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) followed with singles to tie the game.
• A Persinger one-out walk in the fourth and Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) hit by pitch put runners at first and second. Persinger once again beat the throw on a fielder's choice to load the bases before a Coyle single up the middle made it a 6-4 game. Madison Froemel singled with two outs to score Wagner for a 7-4 lead.
• Shank singled to right, stole second and took third on a wild pitch before scoring on a Horsey single for an 8-4 lead.
• A two-out error allowed Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) to score in the sixth for a 9-4 advantage.
• Michael laced a one-out single to the gap and stole second before scoring on a Froemel single. Pinch-runner Julia Dimmick (Silver Spring, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) stole second and then came around to score on a Whalen two-run home run to left field for the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 14 strikeouts for Fiona Johnson was a career high. It was the most strikeouts in a single game by any Green Terror pitcher other than all-time strikeout leader Caroline Brehm.
• McDaniel had six different players combine for seven stolen bases.
• Kristina Shank, Megan Horsey, Alicia Wagner, Megan Coyle and Haley Michael all had two hits.
• The two hits for Wagner gives her 100 for her career.
McDaniel concludes Sunday's play against Wesleyan.