McDaniel (4-2) 3, Wesleyan (4-3) 0
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Sunday, Mar. 17
Where: Kissimmee, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel plated a pair of runs in the first inning to key a 3-0 win over Wesleyan in the second game of its opening day at The Spring Games.
• Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) led the Green Terror, reaching base in all three plate appearances. She had a pair of singles and a walk.
FOR THE FOES
• Danielle Rinaldi led the Cardinals with two hits.
• Kendall Carr also had a pair of knocks.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• With one out in the bottom of the first, Megan Coyle and Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) drew back-to-back walks before Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) dropped a single into center to load the bases. With two outs, Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) singled on a hard hit ball off the pitcher to score Coyle and Persinger before taking second on heads-up base running.
• Coyle led off the third with a single before pinch-runner Julia Dimmick (Silver Spring, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) took second on a wild pitch. After a walk to Persinger, both runners stole a base before an Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) groundout for a 3-0 lead.
• Wesleyan loaded the bases in the seventh inning with one out but the Green Terror got a pair of ground balls to preserve the shutout.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Krista Waller (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) threw five innings in the circle for the win. Cassie Rickrode (Hanover, Pa./Delone Catholic) tossed the final two to pick up her first save of the season.
• Mattie Whalen had two RBIs in the contest.
McDaniel returns to action against Mt. St. Mary and Springfield on Monday at The Spring Games. The first game of the day begins at 9:30 a.m.