McDaniel (7-3) 5, Farmingdale State (0-8) 4 (9 inn.)
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Wednesday, Mar. 20
Where: Kissimmee, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel rallied from a 4-0 first-inning deficit to tie the game in the sixth and scored the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth inning for a 5-4 win over Farmingdale State.
FOR THE FOES
• Courtney Ludwig went 2-for-3 to lead the Rams.
• Julianna Prescia and Sierra Cardenales added two hits each.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• With two outs in the bottom of the first, Julianna Prescia dropped a single into left field before Jessica Lombardo drew a walk. A Sierra Cardenales single through the left side gave Farmingdale a 1-0 lead. Amaris Negron followed with an RBI double and Sabrina Snyder laced a single up the middle to score two runs and make it a 4-0 game.
• Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) drew a two-out walk in the top of the second before a fielding error and Miranda Thompson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) line-drive single to left got McDaniel on the scoreboard.
• With two outs in the fourth, Coyle doubled to the gap before scoring on a Haley Michael single to right to make a 4-2 game.
• Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) drew a walk to lead off the sixth before an Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) single to the gap and advancement on the throw put runners at second and third with no outs. After pinch-runner Melissa Marini (Catonsville, Md./ George Washington Carver Center For the Arts and Technology) replaced Wagner at second, a Coyle RBI groundout and Michael squeeze bunt tied the game.
• Both teams got the runner to third with one or no outs in the eighth but could not push the tie-breaking run across.
• With Michael on second in the ninth, Thompson dropped down a bunt to move her to third and a Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) RBI groundout gave McDaniel a 5-4 lead.
• The Rams moved the runner to third in the bottom of the inning on a one-out groundout to the right side but Fiona Johnson (Derwood, Md./Magruder) got her 10th strikeout of the game to end it and notch the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Fiona Johnson's 10 strikeouts gave her double-digit Ks twice in relief appearances this week. She pitched the final eight innings to improve to 3-2 on the year. She walked just one and scattered four hits without allowing a run.
• The win was head coach Phil Smith's 300th career victory. He is now 300-271-2 in 15th season at the helm. He joins hall-of-fame coach George Dix in the exclusive 300-win club.
McDaniel returns to action at The Spring Games on Thursday against Nichols and Hamilton. The first game of the day is 1:45 p.m.