Nichols (3-5-1) 6, McDaniel (7-4) 3
What: Non-conference softball game
When: Thursday, Mar. 21
Where: Clermont, Fla.
THE SKINNY STORY
Nichols scored three runs in the top of the sixth inning to top McDaniel, 6-3.
FOR THE FOES
• Samantha Kostel led the Bison with three hits.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led off the bottom of the first with a triple before scoring on a Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) single for a 1-0 lead.
• Taylor Commesso led off the top of the second with an infield single before back-to-back bunts moved her to third. A Cassidy Aiello single to left tied the game.
• Amanda Aloto led off the third with a single up the middle before beating a fielder's choice throw to second and moving to third on a groundout before scoring on a Cara Mayhew sacrifice fly for a 2-1 lead.
• Miranda Thompson singled with one out in the fourth before taking second on a wild pitch and scoring on a Mattie Whalen single up the middle to tie the game.
• A Samantha Kostel double to right, wild pitch and Mayhew two-out hit just out of the fielder's reach for a 3-2 advantage.
• With two outs in the sixth, Aiello singled before a walk put runners at first and second. A single to left-center and bobbled ball made it a 4-2 game with runners at second and third. A Kostek single back up the middle and fielding error stretched the lead to 6-2.
• After a leadoff single and fielder's choice, Whalen singled to put runners at first and second. A wild pitch moved pinch-runner Julia Dimmick (Silver Spring, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) to third and allowed her to score on a groundout for the final margin in the bottom of the sixth.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel had baserunners in each of the first six innings but stranded nine runners on. Candice Nelson pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the seventh for her first win.
McDaniel returns to action against Hamilton for its second game of the day at 4 p.m.