Haverford (11-6, 1-0 CC) 7, McDaniel (11-6, 0-1 CC) 1 – Game 1
McDaniel (12-6, 1-1 CC) 6, Haverford (11-7, 1-1 CC) 4 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) softball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Mar. 30
Where: Haverford, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel got a seventh-inning grand slam in game two rally for a 6-4 win and forge a split in the conference opener at Haverford. The Fords took game one, 7-1.
• Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) led the Green Terror with a single hit but the biggest one of the day – a bases-loaded home run over the centerfield fence for her first roundtripper of the year.
• Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) had three hits on the afternoon.
FOR THE FOES
• Nicole Swisher led the Fords with six hits in the two games.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Emma Souter roped a one-out double in the bottom of the second before scoring on a two-out Temma Levis single for a 1-0 lead.
• The lead held until the top of the sixth. Mattie Whalen led off with a single before a Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) walk put runners at first and second. After a sacrifice bunt and fielder's choice play cut the would-be tying run at the plate, a rundown between first and second allowed Shank to take home for the tying run.
• Marybeth Stone led off the home half of the inning with a single through the right side before moving to second on a sacrifice. An Emily Reinstadtler single put runners at the corners before a Stone beat the throw home on a fielder's choice for a 2-1 lead. Ashley Sisto followed with an RBI single before a hit batter, two singles and an error capped the six-run frame for a 7-1 lead.
• In the nightcap, Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch singled to center to lead off the second before Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) was hit by a pitch. After a sacrifice bunt and pitching change, Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) singled home Wagner and Whalen singled to plate Wilkins for a 2-0 lead.
• Phoebe May doubled with one out in the home half of the third before a Julia Blake single put runners at the corners. With the bases loaded, a Rachel Wolfson sacrifice fly made it a 2-1 game.
• A single and error allowed Souter to reach third leading off the fourth before she scored on a one-out squeeze play to tie the game.
• May reached on a throwing error to start the fifth before singles from Nicole Swisher and Wolfson gave the hosts a 3-2 lead. A Stone RBI groundout pushed the lead to 4-2.
• Froemel drew a walk to lead off the top of the seventh before giving way to pinch-runner Julia Dimmick (Silver Spring, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase). After a Whalen single and wild pitch put runners at second and third, Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) drew a one-out walk. Michaela Persinger followed and sent a 1-1 pitch over the fence to turn the two-run deficit into a two-run advantage.
• Stone singled with two outs in the bottom of the seventh before moving to second on a wild pitch. The next batter was originally ruled safe but, after a conversation between the umpires, was ruled out at first to end the game.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Cassie Rickrode (Hanover, Pa./Delone Catholic) pitched 8 2/3 innings on the day with three strikeouts. She threw the final 2 2/3 of the nightcap to pick up the win in relief.
• Michaela Persinger's grand slam was the second grand slam by the Green Terror this season.
McDaniel returns to action in the home opener against York (Pa.) on Sunday. The first game will begin at 1:30 p.m.