McDaniel (13-6) 3, York (Pa.) (12-11) 2 – Game 1
York (Pa.) (13-11) 4, McDaniel (13-7) 2 – Game e
What: Non-conference softball doubleheader
When: Sunday, Mar. 31
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel walked off winners in game one with a 3-2 victory before York scored twice in the fifth inning of game two to forge a split with a 4-2 win.
• Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led the Green Terror with three hits on the day, including the walkoff single in game one and a home run in game two.
FOR THE FOES
• Mia Ruffalo led the Spartans with three hits.
• Hannah Vogt went the distance in game two for her first collegiate win.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In the opener, Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) led off the fourth inning with a double to the game before Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) popped up a ball that landed in front of the circle but she beat out for an infield single. She then swiped an unguarded second base to put runners at second and third. After a Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) RBI groundout scored Persinger, Melinda Morgan (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) singled with two outs to score Wilkins for a 2-0 lead.
• Mia Ruffalo led off the seventh with an infield single before a Hannah Vogt pinch-hit single put runners at the corners. After Vogt stole second, a Joanna Marmo RBI groundout cut the deficit to 2-1 with two outs before Julie Van O'Linda laced the first pitch she saw for a double into the left-field corner to tie the game.
• Morgan was hit by a pitch to lead off the bottom of the inning before moving to second on a Miranda Thompson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) sacrifice bunt. A two-out Kristina Shank groundball through the right side was enough to allow Morgan to score from second with the game-winning run.
• In game two, Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) was hit by the first pitch of the bottom of the first before being erased on a fielder's choice. After a wild pitch and Persinger single put runners at the corners, Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) was able to score on an Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) RBI groundout for a 1-0 lead.
• Ruffalo led off the second with a double and scored on a Marmo one-out single to left to tie the game.
• Elle Meyer reached on a bunt single to lead off the third before stealing second, taking third on a one-out error and scoring on a Ruffalo sacrifice fly for a 2-1 lead.
• Natalie Decena singled up the middle to lead off the fifth before stealing second and scoring on a Shyla Pastore one-out single. With the bases loaded, Vogt singled back up the middle to score Alyssa Harhigh but Shank threw out the next runner at the plate to keep it a 4-1 game.
• In the home sixth, Shank drove a 1-0 pitch over the right-field fence to lead off the sixth inning. The Green Terror loaded the bases with two outs but could Vogt got a groundout to keep it a 4-2 game. McDaniel put the tying runs on in the bottom of the seventh with two outs but a flyout gave York the split.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Kristina Shank blasted her first home run as a Green Terror with the sixth-inning shot in the nightcap.
• Paige Bleyer (Cambridge, Md./Cambridge-South Dorchester) pitched 6 2/3 innings in the opener with a career-high six strikeouts. Krista Waller (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) got the final out of the top of the seventh – a three-pitch strikeout – to pick up the victory in relief.
McDaniel returns to action at Dickinson on Tuesday. The first game begins at 3 p.m.