McDaniel (16-9, 4-3 CC) 2, Washington (Md.) (8-19-1, 1-5-1 CC) 0 – Game 1
McDaniel (17-9, 5-3 CC) 4, Washington (Md.) (8-20-1, 1-6-1 CC) 3 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) softball doubleheader
When: Tuesday, Apr. 9
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel tossed a two-hit shutout in game one and then staved off a late rally to complete the sweep of Washington. The Green Terror captured the opener 2-0 and took game two, 4-3.
• Cassie Rickrode (Hanover, Pa./Delone Catholic) twirled a two-hit shutout in the opener and then closed out the final two innings of game two for a save in the nightcap.
• Tori Wilkins (Lutz, Fla./Land O'Lakes) had a 3-for-3 game two with three RBIs.
FOR THE FOES
• Rachel DiMarcello had two hits in game two, including a two-run home run.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Mattie Whalen (Magnolia, N.J./Sterling) ripped a ball up the middle with one out in the bottom of the first. Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) followed with a triple to right field for a 1-0 lead.
• Cassie Rickrode worked around a leadoff baserunner in each of the next four innings, stranding the would-be tying run at third each time.
• With two outs in the fifth, Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) sent an 0-1 pitch over the right-field fence to double the advantage.
• In the nightcap, Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) and Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) led off the bottom of the second with back-to-back singles. After a fielder's choice erased the runner at third, Keilani Rebollla (Millersville, Md./Old Mill) pinch ran for Froemel at second and Tori Wilkins followed with a single up the middle for a 1-0 lead.
• Froemel led off the fourth with a walk before Alicia Wagner (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch) doubled just inside the first-base bag to put runners at second and third with no outs. Wilkins knocked a double over the third-base bag to score both runners for a 3-0 lead. Wilkins then took off for third before an errant throw sailed into center field and she was able to score for a 4-0 lead.
• Alyssa Vieira led off the sixth with a double before Rachel DiMarcello jacked a 1-0 pitch over the fence in left-center to make it a 4-2 game. Cassie Rickrode was greeted with a single up the middle before getting a strikeout looking and issuing a walk. After a fielder's choice got the second out and fielder's choice and errant throw allowed pinch-runner Kerrigan Buck to score and make it a 4-3 game. Rickrode, however, got a groundout to strand the tying run at third and then worked a 1-2-3 top of the seventh for her second save of the year.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Michaela Persinger extended her current hitting streak to nine straight games with a hit in each game of the twinbill.
• Krista Waller (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) fanned four batters to pick up the game-two win.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Trinity (D.C.) on Friday. The first game begins at 1:30 p.m.