McDaniel (2-0) 74, York (1-2) 63
What: Non-Conference women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Nov. 13
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used a 16-4 run over a 5-minute, 36-second stretch in the fourth quarter to open up a double-digit advantage and topple York 74-63 in the home opener.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) led the Green Terror with 19 points eight rebounds to go with three steals.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) added 11 points.
• Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) chipped 10 rebounds, three assists and three steals.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) contributed 10 points and three assists.
FOR THE FOES
• Katie McGowan led the Spartans with 20 points and 11 rebounds. She also dished out four assists.
• Molly Day had 18 points and six rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trailing 5-4, Katie McGowan and Molly Day each hit buckets to give York an 8-5 advantage with 5:18 to play in the opening period. The Spartans extended the advantage to as large as five en route to a 15-11 edge at the end of the first 10 minutes.
• McDaniel opened the second quarter on a 12-0 run, building a 23-15 lead midway through the period. Hannah Ravenscroft (Berryville, Va./Clarke County) contributed four of her seven points during the run. The Spartans closed to within four but trailed 29-24 at the break.
• The Green Terror opened the third quarter with a 7-0 burst, extending the lead to 12 just 90 seconds into the second half. A Kayla Ferris three-point play, however, sparked a 14-2 counter. Logynn Fuller tied the game at 38-all, hitting a 3-pointer with 3:57 on the clock. Tied a 42-all, the teams traded baskets in the final minute for a 45-44 McDaniel lead going to the final period.
• York took a 50-49 advantage on a Day 3-pointer with 7:45 to play but Renie Tsomos countered with a second-chance triple of her own at the other end to spark the 16-4 game-clinching run that gave the hosts a 65-54 lead with 1:48 to play.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Ferrum on Friday. Game time is 6 p.m.