No. 19 Gettysburg (7-1, 5-0 CC) 62, McDaniel (6-3, 2-3 CC) 58
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Dec. 5
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Gettysburg methodically built a 57-46 lead with 4:13 before McDaniel scored 12 of the next 14 points to close to within three but the Bullets were able to hold on for a 62-58 victory.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) led the Green Terror with 19 points.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) added 18 points.
• Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) led the way on the glass with a game-high nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Kiera Cesareo led the Bullets with 17 points off the bench, hitting five of her six 3-point attempts.
• Ashley Gehrin chipped in 13 points.
• Emma Dorshimer added 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• An Anna Mondoro 3-pointer coupled with the last of three free-throw attempts staked McDaniel to a 4-0 lead with 7:54 to play in the first quarter. Trailing 7-2, Tori Yantos hit a layup and Cesareo drained her first triple to tie the game with 4:01 showing. Caroline Ward scored the next five Green Terror points for a 12-9 advantage before another Cesareo 3-pointer tied the game. Jamese Word and Emma Dorshimer traded baskets to make it a 14-all game after one quarter.
• A Cesareo 3-pointer with 7:37 remaining in the second quarter gave Gettysburg a 19-16 lead that it would not relinquish the rest of the way. Layups from Meredith Brown and Carly Rice stretched the lead to 25-18 with 3:57 showing. Back-to-back triples from Cesareo and Rice extended the advantage as large as 31-22 in the final minute of the half before Ward canned a pair of free throws with 36 ticks remaining to make it a seven-point game at the break.
• In the third quarter, the lead fluctuated between five and nine points for the entire quarter with Gettysburg holding a 48-39 advantage on a Seanna McNamara layup in the waning seconds.
• Two Dorshimer free throws on a technical foul with 8:50 showing gave the visitors a double-digit lead for the first time. A McNamara fast-break layup gave the Bullets a 13-point lead before layups from Ward and Mondoro each hit layups to cut the deficit to 57-48 with 2:44 to play. An Allyson Shipley (Manchester, Md./Delone Catholic [Pa.]) jumper in the lane with 1:26 to play sparked a 7-0 burst that Mondoro capped, hitting a triple from the wing with 37.7 seconds remaining. Gettysburg, however, went 3-for-4 from the line in the waning seconds to escape with the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Gettysburg entered the game ranked 19th in the latest D3hoops.com poll.
• Caroline Ward's 19 points was a career high for the sophomore.
• The Bullets finished with a 30-20 advantage on the glass.
McDaniel returns to action at Franklin & Marshall on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.