Franklin & Marshall (3-4, 2-3 CC) 76, McDaniel (6-4, 2-4 CC) 67
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Dec. 8
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Franklin & Marshall jumped out to a 15-2 lead late in the first quarter and never trailed in a 76-67 victory over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Kristin Hamill led the Diplomats with 25 points and 17 rebounds.
• Haley Pilone added 15 points and seven rebounds.
• Sarosha Parsons chipped in 12 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After Kenna Williams and Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic Central) traded baskets in the first 2:15, Haley Pilone drained a 3-pointer to spark a 13-0 run. Kristen Hamill scored eight points during the 4-minute, 53-second run. Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) hit a second-chance jumper just before end of the period to make it a 15-4 game.
• A pair of Caroline Ward 3-pointers and Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) keyed a 9-2 start to the second period that trimmed the deficit to 17-3 with 7:31 on the clock. After an Anna Mondoro triple made it a 21-18 deficit two minutes later, Hamill connected on a second-chance layup to spark a 9-0 burst that stretched the lead back to 12 with 2:43 showing en route to a 36-26 advantage at the break.
• Leading 44-34 nearly midway through the third quarter, another Hamill layup started a 7-0 burst that pushed the lead to 17 – its largest of the game – with 4:26 remaining. Five straight Green Terror free throws trimmed the margin to 51-39 but Alisyn Narracci canned a pair from the charity stripe with 1:10 remaining to make it a 14-point game going to the final period.
• A pair of Mondoro treys around a Narracci layup cut the deficit to 10 in the first minute of the fourth quarter. Madeleine Thompson (Poolesville, Md./Poolesville) hit the final of her three 3-pointers to cut the deficit to single digits at 64-55 with 4:50 to play. Franklin & Marshall countered, however, by hitting 12 of 14 free throws in the final 4:06 to secure the victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Anna Mondoro's 20 points was a season high and one point shy of her career high.
• Mondoro (6) and Caroline Ward (5) combined to hit 11 3-pointers.
• The 15 3-pointers made by the Green Terror matched the program record.
• Franklin & Marshall finished with a 26-4 advantage in the paint and 51-29 edge in rebounding.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Goucher on Thursday, Jan. 3. Game time is 7 p.m.