McDaniel (9-4, 4-4 CC) 52, Muhlenberg (9-3, 5-2 CC) 44
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Jan. 8
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel hit a four-point play in the final 11 seconds of the first quarter for a 15-14 edge and did not trail the rest of the way for a 52-44 win over Muhlenberg.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) led the Green Terror with 12 points.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) added 11 points.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) grabbed 10 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Carley Hamilton led the Mules with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Two baskets from Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) and an Anna Mondoro 3-pointer staked McDaniel to a 7-2 midway through the first period. Two Tara Szawaluk free throws with 4:36 on the clock sparked an 8-0 run that gave Muhlenberg a 10-7 advantage with 2:23 to play in the period. Trailing 14-11, Mondoro hit a 3-pointer from the wing and added the free throw for a 15-14 edge with 11 seconds to play.
• A Mondoro triple on the opening possession of the second quarter stretched the lead to four before four Carley Hamilton points tied the game at 18-all. A 3-pointer from Madeleine Thompson (Poolesville, Md./Poolesville) gave McDaniel a 21-18 lead with 7:15 showing. Five straight points from Allyson Shipley (Manchester, Md./Delone Catholic [Md.]) in the final 1:11 of the quarter stretched the lead to 28-22 at the break.
• After the Green Terror grew the lead as large as seven in the third quarter, Ashley Polera hit a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to 33-32 with 2:01 showing but Caroline Ward immediately responded with a triple of her own. A Liv Storer three-point play pushed the lead back to seven at 39-32 with 38 seconds remaining. Hannah Ravenscroft (Berryville, Va./Clarke County) added a jumper in the waning seconds to make it a 41-32 game after three quarters.
• A Caroline Ward free throw 27 seconds into the fourth quarter pushed the lead to double digits. Five straight Muhlenberg points cut the deficit to 42-37 with 8:40 to play but a Ward 3-pointer sparked a 7-0 burst that gave the Green Terror a 12-point lead midway through the period.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel held Muhlenberg to a season-worst 25.8 percent shooting from the floor that included a scant 3-for-17 (9.4 percent) from 3-point.
McDaniel returns to action at Ursinus on Thursday. Game time is 8 p.m.