Haverford (10-3, 6-3 CC) 77, McDaniel (9-6, 4-6 CC) 53
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 12
Where: Haverford, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Haverford shot 58.1 percent in the first half to build a 45-16 lead en route to a 77-53 victory over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Macy Goldbach led the Fords with 17 points.
• Julianna Clark added 17 points off the bench.
• Anna-Sophia Capizi chipped in 14 points.
• Megan Furch rounded out a quartet of double-digit scorers with 10.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Maddie Gallic and Megan Furch each hit layups in the first minute to stake Haverford to a 4-0 lad before Caroline Ward and Liv Storer countered with layups of their own to tie the game with 7:33 showing. An Anna-Sophia Capizzi 3-pointer gave the hosts the lead for good, however, on their next possession. Leading 9-6, Macy Goldbach scored four straight points and Capizzi drained two triples for a 10-0 run to open up a 13-point advantage with 2:17 to play in the first period.
• Leading 27-12 after one quarter, the Fords tallied the first nine points of the second quarter to stretch the lead to 24 midway through the period. Layups from Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) and Storer made it a 36-16 game but Julianna Clark hit three 3-pointers in the final 3:07 to stretch the lead to 29 at the break.
• Ward and Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) combined for three 3-pointers in the first 2:42 of the third quarter to close the deficit to 49-25. A Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) triple with 3:46 showing made it a 55-34 game but Haverford finished the quarter on an 11-2 run to push the lead to 30 for the first time.
• The fourth quarter lead stayed between 25 and 32 points until two Sara Pilkey (Fawn Grove, Pa./Kennard-Dale) free throws with 27 seconds left set the final margin of 24.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Haverford shot 55.4 percent for the game, including 13-for-23 from 3-point range.
• Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) matched her career high with six assists.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Swarthmore on Wednesday. Game time is 6 p.m.