Haverford (19-6, 15-5 CC) 53, McDaniel (12-13, 7-13 CC) 46
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 16
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Haverford built a 28-23 halftime lead and did not trail in the second half of a 53-46 win over McDaniel.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) led the Green Terror with 14 points. She also had three blocked shots.
• Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) added 10 points and four rebounds.
• Caroline Ward (Mt. Airy, Md./Linganore) chipped in 10 points and four rebounds off the bench.
FOR THE FOES
• Anna-Sophia Capizzi led the Fords with 15 points.
• Megan Furch added 14 points, nine rebounds and four steals.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Behind a Liv Storer jumper and Caroline Ward 3-pointer, McDaniel jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the game's first 5:18. Layups from Megan Furch and Anna-Sophia Capizzi tied the game a minute-and-a-half later. After Maddie Gallic gave Haverford its first lead of the game, Storer converted a three-point play for an 8-7 edge with 1:44 to play. Five straight points from Capizzi pushed the Ford lead to 12-8 before a Hannah Ravenscroft (Berryville, Va./Clarke County) running layup cut the margin to two at the end of the quarter.
• Layups from Furch and Macy Goldbach on the first two Haverford possessions of the second quarter expanded the lead to six. The Fords built a lead as large as 20-12 with 6:40 to play in the period before four points from Ward keyed a 6-0 run that closed the margin to two 3:30 later. An exchange of 3-pointers gave the visitors a 26-21 lead en route to a 28-23 halftime lead.
• A Ravenscroft 12-foot jumper capped a 6-2 start to the quarter, closing the deficit to one midway through the quarter. Haverford, however, countered with four straight to reestablish a five-point lead and took a 37-35 edge into the final quarter.
• Clinging to a 39-37 lead, Katie Cook hit a layup to spark an 11-2 run to open up a double-digit lead with 3:13 to play. A Renie Tsomos (Forest Hill, Md./Bel Air) steal-and-layup and Storer layup cut the deficit to 51-44 with 26 ticks remaining.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Renie Tsomos tallied three assists and two steals to go with two points and three rebounds in her final collegiate game.
• Haverford is the No. 3 seed in next week's conference tournament.