McDaniel (1-0) 83, Penn State-Berks (0-3) 52
What: Non-conference women's basketball game
When: Friday, Nov. 15
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel outscored Penn State-Berks by a 50-24 margin in the second and third quarters to run away with an 83-52 season-opening win in the first game of the 2019 McDaniel Tipoff Tournament.
• Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) led the Green Terror with 17 points off the bench, including hitting five 3-pointers.
• Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) added 11 points.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) chipped in 11 points.
• Hannah Ravenscroft (Berryville, Va./Clarke County) rounded out a quarter of double-digit scorers with 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Kaitlyn Armstrong led the Lions with 16 points and eight rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• An Anna Mondoro 3-pointer staked McDaniel to a 5-1 lead in the game's first 1:42 before back-to-back Sam Brensinger baskets and a Julia Bookwalter free throw evened the game with 4:40 showing. A Hannah Ravenscroft jumper sparked a 12-3 close to the quarter and 18-9 lead after 10 minutes.
• Two Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) free throws with 6:51 to play in the second quarter pushed the lead to double digits for the first time at 26-16. The lead remained between eight and 13 points en route to a 38-26 halftime lead.
• The Green Terror netted 11 of the first 13 points in the third quarter to swell the lead to 49-28 with 5:33 on the clock. The lead grew to 61-32 after Natalie Mehl triples on three straight possessions.
• Taking a 68-33 advantage to the fourth quarter, the two teams went back-and-forth over the final 10 minutes en route to the 31-point final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) led the way on the glass with eight rebounds to go with her seven points.
McDaniel returns to action in the championship game of its Tipoff Tournament against Juniata on Saturday. Game time is 6:30 p.m.